1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Need advice:) with this mobo and OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gar, 19 Mar 2009.

1. gar

gar Minimodder

I have just finished building my new htpc which is running windows 7.
    Now it does not seem to be running that well because every time I reload windows, something else dosent work. First it was my dvd drive not showing, bow my dvd codec is missing. Harly functioning as a media centre is it?
    Anyway, it won't allow me to load my motherboard saftware including the asus expressgate.
    Now I'm just wondering if this could be my mistake, because I am building such a low profie case, so low that it needs a 1u server fan because I bought a 300watt silentx shuttle slim psu, the thing is Asus advise a min of 300watts, and a current of at least 12v wereas mine is only rated at 8 volts. Could this be the problem?

The motherboard is a Asus M3A78-VM. I have an abit that works fine, but I really like asus for their build quality. What asus motherboard would be the best considering I need to use the silentx psu?
    Any help/ ideas would be welcome as I need to sort this out asap.

many thanks.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2009
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What may be the problem is that you are using a beta version of Windows 7. ;)

3. gar

gar Minimodder

Yes, I beleive that is part of the problem. Works ok with my latop, yet I appreciate that my latop has different hardware and therefore may be cooperating betterwithwin 7.

Do you think that my problem might also be compounded by the fact that my psu and motherboard figures dont match up? I'd really like to keep my current setup, but is my computer going to be instable? I dunno what to do bar someone recommending me another mobo.

4. gar

gar Minimodder

Obviously this topic is open to everyones opinion. You :geek:s know more than me!
    There must be someone on this forum!?! please?

Last edited: 19 Mar 2009
  5. gar

gar Minimodder

Anybody?

Just need to know if the psu is at fault with the motherboard.

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Simple, try removing some other hardware and do a test boot up.

The motherboard is rated with a minimium of 300W because the bog standard OEM 300W PSU's are that bad.

A shuttle PSU should be able to handle the system with ease as there built to a higher standard.

If you have a copy of XP give that ago for testing purposes.

7. gar

gar Minimodder

Thanks Burnout. I'll try loading xp.
    Do you think it's dodgy to have the motherboard rated at 12v when the psu is rated at 8v? Or is there a motherboard you could recommend me from asus, or gigabyte?

I tried an abit AM2N-HD, motherboard and it worked fine with win7, but it's not rated the same way as the asus. Just not really a fan of the build quality of the abit.

8. verdi

verdi What's a Dremel?

I think Burnout has the right idea. The shuttle PSU's should be able to handle a HTPC with ease unless you've had to go for a small PSU due to a huge amount of hardware! Load XP if you have one onto it and see what happens.

9. gar

gar Minimodder

Will give it a try. I hoping I can load the os that came with my hp latop?
    Otherwise I've got plenty of linux distro's. But I guessing that could be even more confusing, right!?

Thanks both of you guys. I do appreciate the adicve, ALLOT!

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

you sure your not getting volts and Amps mixed up here. The motherboard requires a 12v line, and i know a shuttle PSU has a 12v line aswell its part of the ATX standard.

Basically the motherboards power specs are based around the most power demanding CPU availble for your motherboard. That way ASUS know there item is working aslong as you follow there spec's.

I think your problem must be a Win7 beta problem.

11. verdi

verdi What's a Dremel?

The shuttle style PSU's I've seen should be more than adequate and have had around 16-17amps on the 12v rail. as burnout said I think its your win 7. I trialled mine on a virtual machine and as expected it was great and when I loaded it as a fresh install I did have to play around a bit, but not that much, with drivers. After all it is pretty much vista.

12. gar

gar Minimodder

I may well be. I'll check tonight. Thanks. I couldnt undertsand fully as it seemd asus was saying that even to run the most basic gear, it would take a huge amount of power, but I guess that understanding makes no sense. I'm not thinking of running a quad core, which the mobo does support. Only using 2 gigs of ram and a half height sound card, but havent added that yet. The processor I'm testing with it a 1.6 semperon!

13. gar

gar Minimodder

Hmm yea, I know what you mean. Are you saying they were rated at 16-17amps on the case? I think mine is rated at 8 amps on the 12v rail. That makes me not understand how the motherboard can even power up. Sorry, but I don't have the best understanding of computers!:blush:

14. gar

gar Minimodder

Loading xp pro now.

Asus says the following about the motherboard:

"If you intend to use a PSU with 20pin and 4 pin power lugs, make sure that the 20 pin power plug can provide at least 15Aon +12V and that the PSU has a inimum power rating of 300 W.

300W silentx shuttle PSU DC
    +12v A 8A
    +12v B 13.5A

Hmm I really hope this is ok?