1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How safe are UV cold cathodes?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Fongalv, 8 Nov 2002.

1. Fongalv

Fongalv What's a Dremel?

I have been wanting to use UV cold cathodes to light up the insides of my case for quite some time...

but recently Ive seen somewhere that UV light and black lights can be hazardrous to health...

can anyone tell me how safe thay are?

thanks...

2. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Sitting in front of one all day is the same as sitting outside in the sun all day.

It puts out UV radiation so it is not good for you.

Now, you can get a UV film to put over your PC window that way you will see the light effects but no UV will get out.

3. noodles

noodles What's a Dremel?

You "should" be ok, assuming you will have a plexi window, as plexiglass filters out a lot of UV.

4. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

uhhh the one problem area you might get is in your eyes... honestly sitting next to a black light won't do too much to you as far as UV radiation due to the type of radiation it puts out... UV B is the harmful type of radiation... UV A is harmful... but not life threatening.... and since the amount of actual UV radiation given off by modern black lights is about the equivalent to being outside for a hour... older blacklights were more harmful (ask people of linear's era... staring into a black light often led to temporary blindness or flash burn).... modern lights will give you that if you start at them for prolonged periods of time... if you're really concerned, i'll email my uncle and see what he says...

5. uk_dave

uk_dave What's a Dremel?

I have 2 UV cold cathodes in my case and a 26w UV light bulb in my light socket in the ceiling and I'm still alive!!

From what I've read UV-A (which is what the lights give out) is pretty safe. UV-B is given out by the sun and is what gives you sun burn, and UV-C would kill you but fortunatly doesn't make it through the atmosphere.

Just done some quick searching and found this:
    http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0849967.html

6. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Maybe computer programmers who never go outdoors should have a coupla blacklights installed installed in their work area to get their RDA of Vitamin D ... :D

7. Fongalv

Fongalv What's a Dremel?

hmm...sounds pretty safe after all the input...

Thanks guys!

8. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

Theres a simple solution
    don't put it in direct line of sight. So hidden down below your window. This means you can't look directly at it.