1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve: 2.5 million Left 4 Dead sold

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I get the impression L4D has been really rather succesfull. Funny, you wouldn't quite think it in the same mainstream bracket as something like CoD 5, but it looks like the things sold bucket loads. I imagine total sales are at the very least double that. In fact, I imagine PC sales are probably around 20%/80% in Steam's favour over retail. I mean, it's a co-op multiplayer game first and foremost, so will be most of interest to people who already play multiplayer and as such are used to digital distribution.

Good on Valve I say. Yet another brilliant product from probably the most important FPS developer around (sorry id).

3. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

When I see articles like those i think to myself "TAKE THAT SWEENEY"!

So, it looks like the workarround piracy is making good multiplayer games, huh?

BTW Mister Martin, you didn't forgot to check and update us on CoD: Modern Warfare II, right?

4. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

I have to agree that Left 4 Dead has done very well - it has been the first Valve game that I've heard people who aren't 'gamers' talking about and they've only been saying positive things.

They're going to get a nice surprise when they get their first free update :) (xbox users)

5. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I just bought my copy through steam :)

Funny thing, it was because of piracy (at a LAN-party) that i got hooked on playing it :D

6. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

I bet it's three times that overall, I agree with Bauul with the 20/80%, but they sold more copies on that weekend sale than they did at release, which I can imagine was a lot, seeing as it had so much hype after the demo

7. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

now they just need to add server filters, I'm getting tired of joining servers with 4 tanks running around. And Boomers spawning every 10 seconds.

8. Jerz

Jerz What's a Dremel?

I played Left 4 Dead on the 360, was rather disappointed. It was an alright game but you can get zombie HL2 mods for free that are very similar. It's still better than the mods but I don't think it is anywhere near better enough to justify a full retail price of 49.99, maybe 19.99. Basically it just seemed like another (improved) zombie mod of HL2 but asking full retail price.

9. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

It's no surprise it sold millions as Valve has been pushing it a lot.
    It's also no surprise I didn't like it because it's a zombie shooter. Boring plot from the start. I played it once and had fun, both single and multiplayer with friends on LAN, but it gets repetitive.

Then again, only few games kept me hung on. Some of them are:
    - Day of Defeat (HL1 mod) with online and on-LAN competitions and community
    - Warbirds - online flight sim (100+ players) with persistant war arena
    - Civilizations 1, 2 and 3 and Colonization 1
    - Total War series from Rome and on
    - X-COM 1, 2 and 3

I think I'm getting old :\

10. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

Its repetitive from the start.ppl say this one from valve is great simply because they haven't played enough games to compare with this one.
    I ask the question whats new for u to get excited, to go for next map?
    Maps are really not adding any thing to this multilayer game.
    I know when we say it was developed by value,sales going up.coz they have the great reputation of developing two great games of all time.Half life and Half life 2.And Counter Strike also.

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I have played many many games and i still think this is great. in fact the Bit-Tech Team have also played lots of games so i think your argument is a little shallow to say the least. Fair enough you don't like it but to say (effectively) only noobs enjoy it is just plain dumb.

12. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

It's the co-operative gameplay that has everyone enjoying this title me thinks. In a sea of rambo style FPS, this is one of the few titles that actually forces co-op play. Sure there are good, even exceptional players out there, but in this game, that means nothing in comparison to the best team players. Just needs valve to release the DLC and the mod community to get there snouts into the SDK and this game is gonna be with us for a long time I reckon.:rock:

Tags: Add Tags