Networks Crazy problem with Windows Server 2003

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by frozensteam, 31 Mar 2009.

1. frozensteam

frozensteam Where's the ANY key?

So this is the craziest thing I've ever seen... or maybe I'm just inexperienced.

I kinda know my way around server 2003.. I have 2 of them at my house. One is a front end for routing, vpn, and exchange. The other is for file server, RDS, other stuff.

The routing server will not connect to / ping / anything to microsoft.com. I can't update, can't activate, nothing. I've never had this problem before. All the computers behind it don't have a problem. The server sitting next to it - no problem. But this one won't. It will go to every other website. I've tried reconfiguring DNS lookups, pointing it at a different DNS, and hitting it with a hammer. Nothing works.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    -frozensteam :rock: :wallbash:

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Actually this is one of the noticed symptoms of the Conficker worm set for April 1st.
    1.) You cannot connect to M$ to get updates.
    2.) You cannot connect to the Anti-virus sites.

Go into control panel and see if you can even enable automatic updates. If not You may have the worm already.

Try browsing to the Anti-virus sites and see if you can get to them like McAfee. If not, same thing you may already have the worm.

A link:
    http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1238443907751.shtm

john

3. frozensteam

ok... that makes some sense.. but why was it from the beginning, (yesterday) when I installed, I set it up behind a firewall, and couldn't access microsoft.com. Not sure - why wouldn't it affect anything else other than an sbs2k3 box?

4. wsurritte

wsurritte What's a Dremel?

check lmhosts.sam and hosts files. Also, sounds dumb, but check your default gateway settings.

5. frozensteam

ok...just for a controlled experiment (by the way my other svr i checked and it's doing the same thing)

so, behind a very secure network, I installed server 2003 on a laptop, without ever connecting it. as soon as it was done, i configured the tcp ip just like you would an xp box with dhcp, flipped the wlan switch... i can get to anywhere but microsoft.com.. well FMA! i'll check the lmhost file

thanks

6. frozensteam

nothing on the lmhost file... can't figure this out. it seems odd that microsoft would ship out of the box like this... at least so it seems.

I can ping microsoft.com from any box behind the router server (i use svr2k3 for a router and it won't connect to microsoft)

I type in http://207.46.232.182 which is what I get when I ping it from another computer and it doesn't come up -- page cannot be displayed. this almost def. rules out a dhcp or dns issue. i'm at a loss.

7. wsurritte

wsurritte What's a Dremel?

check HOSTS also. they are seperate files.

Could be ARP.

at the command prompt (cmd.exe) on the win2k3 box type
    arp -a
    and post the output here.

edit: the IP you listed wont work cause it redirects to microsoft.com nearly immediately.

Also: set your DNS servers to:
    and try connecting

Last edited: 1 Apr 2009