Electronics USB experts - help needed with mod.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Slartibartfast, 31 Oct 2002.

1. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast What's a Dremel?

I'd like to turn my USB keyboard into a USB hub.

The problem is - how:confused:

Could I just wire some USB sockets onto the 5 contact points within the keyboard (where the cable connects to the small PCB which then is connected to the keyboard membrane), or will I need to try and find a small enough USB bus that'll fit into the case of the keyboard - bus PCB and all.

I'm hoping that I could just add the sockets, because I doubt I could find a USB bus with a small enough PCB that will fit inside my keytronic keyboard.

I don't really want to add the sockets/bus to my case - too much chance of an expensive cock-up:eeek:

I just hope someone out there knows enough about USB to help me with this mod.

2. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

The main problem is going to be power.

I've got a couple of USB ports on my MS keyboard, and to be hoest, they're pants. They don't provide enough power to run my MS mouse or my digital camera.

You'd probably be better off getting a USB hub and sticking it on your desk.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but it would be a shame to go through the hassle of getting USB ports into your keyboard, and then finding there isn't enough power available to run anything.

3. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

your digital camera shouldn't draw that much power from a usb port, and the ones on a microsoft keyboard are rated at 500mA each, which is more than enough to power any microsoft intellimouse (which normally draw 350mA).... they were made with that purpose in mind.... they will not however power most webcams or external usb hubs..... they are useful if you have something that draws minimal power off and is remotely useful on your desktop...

4. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I don't doubt what you're saying, but when I was getting short of USB ports, I used the ones in my keyboard.

It couldn't power the mouse or the camera. The mouse would be active for a few seconds, and then it would just die. The same thing happened with the camera when I tried to transfer pics from the camera to the PC.

I had to get a powered USB hub in the end, and my camera and mouse work perfectly.

5. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

i ran out of USB ports a long time ago. but the ones on the back of my M$ naturle pro keyboard work just fin, have my Razor Boomsling mouse and my Palm Pilot dockstation pluged into it and i havent had a problem yet, mybe yours is just defective.

good luck

6. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

mwahah, I have 6 USB ports on my MSI KT4 Ultra and I'm quite happy :)

however, I think you might better decase usb hub, put in in your keyboard and powering it from molex connector from psu.

7. relix

relix Minimodder

yeah, there's an article about some 3.5" USB hub somewhere on Bit-Tech, so you could easily dismantle that and put it somewhere in your keyboard, like in the wrist-support or something

8. macroman

macroman The One

The USB specification states that the max current draw from a powered port is 500mA. The MS keyboard is powered from the PC's USB port which can supply 500mA. Since anything plugged into the keyboards USB ports will have to share this 500mA with the keyboard, the port current is somewhat limited.

This is why some USB products are recommended to not share ports or use hubs unless they are powered from their own supply.

In answer to your question, you can only connect one device to a port. In your case the keyboard. To add extra devices you will need a hub.

9. AmPz

AmPz What's a Dremel?

The keyboard is a unpowered USB hub.
    According to the specification, unpowered USB HUB's can only supply power to low power devices (50mA max).
    If a keyboard hub allows high power devices (like optical mice, webcams, etc..), then it doesn't strictly follow the USB spec.

A mechanical mose is a low power device.