1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice BSOD and reboot after POST

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by verdi, 9 Apr 2009.

1. verdi

verdi What's a Dremel?

Hello

Been having a few issues this afternoon and would like a bit of steering and advice please.
    I had a few bits and bobs in the cellar doing nothing so decided that rather them gather dust I'd use them for an as yet undecided purpose anyway, poss server, test rig, win 7/linux play thing and all I was missing for a full pc was a CPU. I didn't need an uberchip so got a E2220. Installed it on a p5n32e sli premium wifi (590) which previously housed an e6600. Had a few old IDE HDD's so installed them (mobo previously had SATA HDD's) and a 9600gt. Pressed go and went to BIOS fine and then on to boot screen. I pressed load windows normally and the machine rebooted instantly. Tried the same things a couple of times and noticed a BSOD popping up almost too fast to see.

I have played in the BIOS, ensured I'm set up for IDE and not SATA, checked voltages and mem timings, psu is fine, mem and 9600 works in other tower, jumped the CMOS and also taken out the CMOS battery, smoked a bit and had a few cuppas. I've tried 2 other HDD's, also old ones, all with the same results.

Booted from CD ROM with ERD Commander and this went fine and got pic and could browse around it.

Next step is to test the HDD's in other tower and try a spanking new SATA HDD. Following that I'll kick it to death.

I believe that the 3 old HDD's I was using are all dead. Anyone think I'm wildly wrong with this, any further test suggestions, or does anyone see something hugely obvious that I'm, as a poor noob, am missing.

ta for your time.

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Firstly, try reparing the mbr. Boot into recovery mode and run fixmbr. You may also need to run fixboot, too. If that does nothing, a new or repair install may need to be done.

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Can you boot into safe mode without Windows rebooting? If you can, try to disable the automatic reboot on BSoDs.

Now, I don't know which version of Windows you're using but for Windows XP you do that by opening System in the control panel, then going to the Advanced tab and pressing the Setting button under Startup and Recovery. On the next dialog uncheck Automatically restart.

Next thing, post which exact error you get on the BSoD and we'll take it from there. :)

4. verdi

verdi What's a Dremel?

cheers so far.

The old HDD's all had xp on, but, it won't boot into anything, not even safe mode. As soon as I select any of the options it goes black as if to start loading windows and then the fastest BSOD ever happens! F8 just brings up select boot device and list whatever HDD I've plugged in, and I can't get far enough in to disable auto restart. I can't read what the BSOD says as it took me a few goes to realise the blue apparent screen flicker was a BSOD!

5. verdi

verdi What's a Dremel?

i'll try and do a fresh install from a bootdisk actually as there's no data I want to keep on the disks. See if that helps. (Can't believe I only just thought of that!)

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Good luck! Hope it works out for you! :)

I had a similar issue at one point with my system. I couldn't flash my BIOS beyond a certain revision. If I did, reboot ad infinitum. Luckily I figured out the cause pretty quickly... :)