1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI 790FX-GD70

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 May 2009.

1. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Wow.... a Msi board (other than the p35 platinum) that has only minor flaws....I thought I would not see the day that happened.

2. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

so basically, if i am understanding you correctly, you could use this board for 3/4 way SLI?

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

No.
    You can't use SLI on a board with a AMD chipset.
    However, you can run crossfire with 4 cards.

You can run 4 nvidia cards as well, but they will work separately, not in sli.

4. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

meh, so 4way crossfire?

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Yes, that will work.

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Nice! Got to remember this when I get my vacation money..

7. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Ooh, that is simply gorgeous! Seems I may have to reconsider getting that DFI AM3 board...

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

This is the board I'm looking at getting but can't decide which ram to get, I cant find any 1600mhz G Skill C7 ram anywhere any other recommendations or a link to where I can buy.

9. naokaji

naokaji whatever

You can just get a tri channel kit and only use two sticks, there is almost no price difference anymore between 4 and 6 GB kits and the selection of 4GB kits at most stores sucks these days, it also saves you from the hassle of a rma if a stick should die.

10. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

actually a really nice board by the look of things. my mate has an MSI P35 board and he loves it, but i have always said he should have bought an asus or dfi just because the overall experience of owning such a board is better through the drivers, support and web pages available. this looks like the board i'd buy right now if i had the money, i'm sure i'd have to eat my own words and deal with a bashing from my mate if i do because my next board now looks like its gonna be a MSI lol.

11. JyX

JyX What's a Dremel?

Quick question... does the ASUS board have the SATA performance issue as well or it's limited just to the MSI board?

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Might be a nice mobo if I go AMD again... Although I promised myself not to buy MSI ever again. Being brand-religious is just as silly as being religious, but sometimes it's just not worth sinking your hands to the same steamer again - try another one for a chance ;)

13. JyX

JyX What's a Dremel?

So I would still like that bit of info I posted about above... please!

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Asus was fine (as was said in the Asus review), and the MSI was fixed after the latest BIOS + ACHI driver update.

15. JyX

JyX What's a Dremel?

I see.. the only issue is that the fix requires CnQ to be disabled which would affect the power draw in real usage situations reducing DrMOS's usefulness, where on the ASUS board CnQ can function without it affecting SATA read performance, so giving both full performance and reducing the power usage when appropriate.

Tell me if I'm wrong... 'cause I don't see the most users messing with the BIOS on a daily basis to make use of this board properly.

16. Panther57

Panther57 AMD Dragon Fan.

How do we get the "First Punch Overclocking Guide" information as posted in the article?
    This information has helped me alot to O.C. my X3 720 and 790FX-GD70, and I want to learn more.

Thanks.

My goal is not to burnout or set records, but to learn how to fine tune my O.C. for optimal performance gain out of my equipment.

Last edited: 16 May 2009
  17. StevieC

StevieC Rising Fusion

Nice!

Mill a channel in the part that cools the VRM's, screw on the top of this block over the voltage regulators, and you'll have proper cooling for BOTH! I'd gladly pay extra for that!

[​IMG]

Either that or design a single channel and a full-block cover so you could cool both with only one pair of nozzles to connect.

That would be best.

Last edited: 17 May 2009
  18. Belly

Belly First time builder

I'd really like to know how to get this too, as I've just bought this board with a 955BE

19. Milotto

Milotto What's a Dremel?

Hi...congratulations for this great review,,,, =)

I bought my GD70 and now it's arrived with CPU X3 720...I'd like to know anymore about OC..: How can i get "First Punch Overclocking Guide" as you wrote in your review...?
    TnX a LoT... =P

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

As stated about half way down this page, MSI have requested the guide was taken down - it's for reviewers only.

Tags: Add Tags