1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Kids and bad parenting

Discussion in 'General' started by RinSewand, 22 May 2009.

1. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

What is it with people!?

Some kid kicked a football through our front window earlier this evening, and ran off, all while my housemate watched - thankfully all the other kids were happy to point out where his parents lived. So off i go, and knock on the door, i then hear it being locked and shouting from inside along the lines of "<kids name>, did anyone see you do it?".

So call to the police later, and it's vaguely being sorted ish... but they haven't come round to apologise for it, and the parents are claiming they can't afford to pay to have it fixed.

Fair enough if they're skint - but at least apologise! One of my housemates was sympathising as their parents would be in the same position, as would one of mine, but if that was us, we A) wouldn't have been kicking balls at windows, and B) would have been dragged round to apologise and it would have been paid for through whatever means. Let alone locking the door on me to start with. This is the same kid who i've watched run over my new car, and who's been told to stop playing football against it and every other car on the street numerous times.

I blame the parents!

RwD

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

shotgun = sorted

Psy-UK likes this.
  3. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

We have a similar problem here. I live in the middle of a council estate in Essex, right opposite the chippy and cornershop where all the louts like to spend every evening.

Smashed beer bottles, rubbish everywhere, footballs being kicked about.... it's not a nice place. Fortunately, like most of these types, none of them have any real bollox so on the rare occasion a football does hit the window/door a nice "get the **** away from the house or that football is going somewhere uncomfortable" in enough to scare them away.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Forgetting the window for a moment, if I saw someone do that to my car I'd literally be out to give them a beating myself. If it was a kid I'd drag them by the earlobe to their parents and demand that the damage be paid for. Thankfully nothing like this ever happens here, it's a good area, although NI does have it's share of bad ones :grr:

As for the window, same deal basically. I'd be furious that they even broke my window in the first place never mind the rest, and in the same situation as yourself (being ignored by the parents) would call the police as well.

Same here!

5. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Is it me or are these incidences seem to occur more and more? When I was younger if I misbehaved I got a rather sharp smack on the rear end. But these days that's apparently child abuse. Yet now these same "golden kids" who never lose, but are the last winner, are in fact little ess hayech one tees with no respect for anything?

6. manxminx

manxminx Opps, I broke my Dremel . . .

Kids outside playing with a football? :eyebrow: I thought they were all indoors playing computer/PS3/Xbox games.

I admire the fact that he wants to get out, get some fresh air and exercise, as should all kids, except this one, who should be chained to the nearest TFT screen ASAP.

Ali.

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'm in high school and the idiotic things people I know do is really outstanding... it's like they have no moral sense or values, and just do everything regardless of the consequences... people need to really learn to take responsibility for their actions... I know I stay home and play video games instead of going out to party because 1) I'm under age, so parent's wouldn't mind but they would be dissapointed with me, 2) I would rather not do something like get drunk to "have fun"

8. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

I second the Shotgun motion.

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Hehe, that'll change.

10. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

lol

To be fair, I'm kinda of awestruck that the parents didn't even at least apologise or get the boy to do so. It's amazing.......it basically means that the parents are at fault here (as you rightly pointed out!) - next time this happens it'll be the same thing repeated. No wonder the boy is like that - he hasn't learned anything because he hasn't been taught anything!

I remember the time that I was playing cricket in the back garden with my bros and one of them hit a shot through a gap in the fence and broke a glass in the neighbour's greenhouse. We apologised straight away, and the neighbour didn't mind - even passed our ball back and told us to be careful next time! I didn't believe we'd gotten away so lightly! But if you apologise, things like that can happen.

11. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Hasn't for me :)

12. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Aye, sadly there's loads of kids on this street, and it's hard to identify running kids from a second storey window. *sigh* Thankfully i'm moving in three weeks, so forcing them to pay up shouldn't have any negative side effects - I can see it being one of those sorts of families to be honest...

RwD

13. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Kids will be kids, as cliche as that is its true. And for the most part kids are disrespectful these days to no end. It does come down to parenting, and some people should be neutered/spayed.

I have tons of nieces and nephews that love to come over and play my consoles, and I trust them. But they know if it starts to get carried away, off it goes and is put away.

Just got to set boundaries for kids, or they will walk all over you (and everyone else's property).

I don't second the shotgun method, way to messy. A .22 is much cleaner. ;) :D

14. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Sorry I got carried away there for a second. I live on exactly the same kind of estate (Meadowell, most Geordie modders will remember the riots back in 91 ish). Since then it's calmed down alot, and i've never had a problem apart from loud drunken chav's on a friday night getting their bottles of bella from Shaka's (local seller to under age alcoholics).

Who's do we blame though and i'm not defending anyone here. The kids round here are usually kicked out the house at dawn and are not allowed back in till its dark or the police take them to the station. Don't get me wrong this is no excuse for kicking balls through windows or even mugging an old lady but it all starts from being bored and quickly progresses to naughty things.

I think it's the start of a vicious circle, these waste of space parents what kids who either they don't want or cannot be bothered with, these kids then get people pregnant without learning parental skills so it continues.

In fact I stand by my first post, forget everything I just wrote.

Shotgun = Sorted.

15. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Unfortunately where I live now I keep a rifle under the bed (mossberg 142a i inherited) that is 3 steps away from being ready to fire. My room mate has a shotgun in the same firing position next to his bed as well. So far this year we have had to go safety off three times because we would have drunk people start tapping on our windows and playing in the garage. We have already had to call the police because someone tried to get in the back door. (I have only lived in the house for just over 2 weeks)

Although I must say the good thing about it is that he and I have our strategies and tactics down pat in case someone does get in.

next time you see the kid, get just an airsoft gun that looks real and wave it at him from a window (don't point it at him because that is a crime). That should keep him from ever messing with you again.

16. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

"Child abuse" is becoming ridiculous, I'd get one hell of a spanking with a belt if I ever damaged anyone's property on top of having to apologize to the owner.

You can bet I NEVER did it again after the first accident which was breaking a car window when I crashed into it with my bike.

Nowadays parents don't give a ****, I really wish you had to take an exam and be evaluated for an extended period of time before being allowed to have a kid. It's getting ridiculous.

17. Slaughter

Slaughter What's a Dremel?

Hey, hey hey over there relax a bit! Yes children this days are spoiled but throwing balls at windows is an accident. To my eyes the parents should pay the damage and the child should apologize but not because he was beaten to hell last night but because he actually understood that this was a mans living in that very window, parents should stop beating the hell of kids and start talking making the kids understand what they do! I was until an age getting hard problems when I did something, yes it was until my generation that parents should beat their children! At first it worked but then I started using speach, a realistic speech of what my mother or father was doing and why, in the first couple of times didnt work but then it stopped. So I probably behaved my parents as well as my self than my parents behave me. FAILED as parents, NOT because this was a bit common and in every else matter they were more than understanding. Last but not list, people this is kids we are talking about... What you should do is DEMAND refund even and if they claim they cant afford it, from your side it will end your problem and from their site they might become more serious about parenting.

18. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

But throwing a ball AT a window isnt an accident is it. By throwing a ball at a window you're obviously aiming at the window. When i was little granted im only 25 now, but back then if i did anything wrong we got a stern talking to if we still played up, It was a 30mm persex rod to the back of the legs, now this may sound a bit brutal but we never did it again.

19. Slaughter

Slaughter What's a Dremel?

Thats not true, it has happened to me while playing soccer to hit the ball with all my power to goal, apparently the ball fell to our neighbors window and broke it... I actually apologised and paid from my own money, he didnt even tell my parents!

20. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I take you missed this part? :eyebrow:

1 time = understandable
    2 times = a bit of a push
    3 times = at the boundaries

Anything more and it shows that the message is clearly not getting through to the kid.

Nothing wrong with getting spanked, I got the belt once, and trust me, I never did it again because I didn't want to get that again. Prior to it I also got a good talking to, the belt merely reinforced the discussion.