1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Build your own vs. buy premade 2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarkBanana, 29 May 2009.

1. DarkBanana

DarkBanana What's a Dremel?

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

CASE - elite 334 - £27.51
    PSU - 650W Corsair TX - £78.76 (picked this cause its good and the chillblast is unbranded)
    MOBO - gigabyte X58 UD3R - £148.70
    CPU - i7 920 D0 - £225.60
    RAM - corsair XMS2 DDR1333 - £47.49
    GPU - ATI 4870 1GB - £137.40
    ROM - DVD writer -£16.43
    HDD - 1T hitachi - £60.23

OS win7 - free

22" montitor - 22" ASUS DVI -£119.57
    wireless keyboard mouse - £13.73
    5.1 speakers - £36.49

TOTAL - £911.91 and thats with a much better PSU

with crappy PSU - £858.54

DONE self build wins lol not that i would want this system cause its got some generic stuff but so has the chill blast and thats the price comparison you asked for.

for the same money you cud get a decent 22" monitor decent PSU, and average mouse and keyboard and some decent 2.1 speakers or a good headset.

EDIT- as for warranty they all come with 1 year minimum with some having more

3. Joekerh

Joekerh Penniless enthusiast

A self built system will ALWAYS be better than prebuilt. Computer manufacturers live on the ignorance of consumers and never put any effort into the subtleties of a build. If they can get away with filling a case with mediocre/off brand parts... they will.

This system would benefit from double the ram at 1600Mhz. It does not need a 750W PSU. They don't tell you the brand of the Ram, Optical drive, or HDD. What are they cooling this overclocked i7 920 with? TIM... what kind and do they know how to properly apply it? Stock case fans with an overclocked 920... really? The GTX 260 outperforms the 4870 and is cheaper. Could almost squeeze a 275 in there. I could go on.

Last edited: 29 May 2009
  4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

correct up to a point. budget machines are very hard to self-build cheaply. i can almost always find a better deal through dell when i try to spec a low cost (<£400) machine for somebody.

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Really? I managed a 2GB, 250GB, AMD 4850e, 740G all for £260.

TBH it would probably have been cheaper to buy it from a store and I was recycling DVD drives etc but as an energy efficient machine it'll pay itself back over a couple of years (< 100 loaded and probably close to 50W idle).

6. Joekerh

Joekerh Penniless enthusiast

All of my points still stand even when the Dell is cheaper. You get what you pay for. A set of indiscriminate parts that do not see the kind of review and testing that individual parts undergo is a recipe for disaster. You open it up and see a cheaply made microATX board, psu, dime a dozen RAM, and Hitachi HDDs. Not to mention poor airflow and cheap plastic/steel casing.

Being flat broke for the better part of a year... I've put together quite a few budget build lists that would blow any off the shelf unit out of the water.

7. DarkBanana

DarkBanana What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of building a system in the summer then came across that and started having second thoughts :p