1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Noob can't find 2nd partion on new hdd

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by hop, 29 May 2009.

1. hop

hop What's a Dremel?

Hello this is my first post in the bit-tech forums, and I have a lot to learn.

I have an old PC (pentium 4, running XP home) that I will be replacing soon, I have just had to fit a new 120GB (ide) HDD as the old one had died. And a new install of XP.

During installation of XP I created a 20GB partition for the os (partition C), and partition D for everything else. I formated C at the time, but not D.

Now the PC is only showing the total volume of the new HDD as 20GB and I cannot work out how to locate the second partition with the other 100GB?

Hope some of that makes sense?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

Note If you do not see Performance and Maintenance, go to step 3. Performance and Maintenance appears in Control Panel only if you use Category view. If you use Classic view, Performance and Maintenance does not appear.

Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.

You should See your Drives and the "unformatted" partition.
    If you right click the partition you should have a format option, do that and the drive should get found in My Computer. Might take a reboot though, not sure.

thehippoz likes this.
  3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

that is the longest way to get to computer management i have ever seen.
    right click 'my computer' --> 'manage'.

thehippoz likes this.
  4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Even faster: Write compmgmt.msc into the Run box, or to get to Disk Management, write diskmgmt.msc. (Oh yeah and hit enter or OK obviously :p )

thehippoz likes this.
  5. hop

hop What's a Dremel?

Thank you all for the help, problem now fixed.