Networks Windows networking issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by SeT, 10 Jun 2009.

1. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

I'm working on a computer that was just re-imaged with Windows XP SP1 that is having network connectivity issues...

The computer gets a valid IP but is not pingable from outside the network(it's at a remote site) but I can ping other computers on their network from outside. If I remote into the server at the site, I can ping the computer that was re-imaged and I'm also then able to remote in to the re-imaged computer from the server so jumping remote-to-remote. The re-imaged is unable to ping anything at all.

I have tried everything I can think of from checking for Proxy, /release/renew IP(It still pulls the same IP from DHCP), flush DNS and Routing... I checked for the windows firewall and it was off also.

The software installed is all standard, MS Office, McAfee AV and Windows. No additional firewall.

finally(doubting that it would work) I set a static IP. IT WORKED! The computer has full internet access and can ping internal and external addresses. This makes no sense at all to me. I checked the IP before setting static and there was a valid IP, Subnet, and Gateway. How does it get the IP and then can't contact anything? It successfully released the IP showing all 0's, I removed the lease on the server, renewed and the lease shows up with the new name I had given the computer so I know it did that much yet couldn't even ping the dhcp server once it had the IP again.

I'm stumped. I don't want to leave it with the static IP due to possible duplicate IP issues down the road but I don't know what to do to get it to communicate on the network without static. Any ideas, anyone?

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Run "ipconfig" after getting an address from DHCP; make sure it's not a provate address, on the wrong subnet, or within the DMZ.

3. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

The IP, Subnet, and Gateway obtained from DHCP were correct.

4. capnPedro

When you set the static IP, was it the same as obtained from DHCP? Or did you use a different one outside of the DHCP range?

5. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

It was a different IP but still in DHCP range.

6. capnPedro

Interesting...

Try this at command prompt:
    ipconifg /release
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /registerdns

Sorry, I don't have a machine on my network configured via DHCP to test with, but I'm pretty sure that's the correct order to run the commands.

If it then still doesn't work, try the old Right click on network connection -> Repair

7. Pendarus

Pendarus What's a Dremel?

It sounds like a DNS registration problem.

Try removing the computers entry manually from the DNS server. If it has the same name on the network as before it was re-imaged, you may find multiple entries with different IP's assigned.
    Reboot and run:

"ipconfig /registerdns"

This should solve your issue.

Hope this helps.:thumb:

8. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Feel free to correct me on this, I work better at resolving issues in person.

But if it was a DNS issue, you should still be able to ping internally, correct?

Because he couldn't ping internally, that leads me to believe that it's not a DNS problem.

One thing that might be overlooked, have you tried updating to SP3?

I'm not going to lie, it wouldn't be one of the first places I would look either. But, I would look considering SP1 is pretty outdated and it could simply be a problem with Windows, or a driver.

Do you have a dedicated DHCP server or is a router acting as the DHCP?

9. Pendarus

Pendarus What's a Dremel?

I know it seems a bit odd, but I have had this issue on my network.

The suggestions I made solved my problem. If not I have also found replacing the Network card will solve it as well. The card is not bad, it can be used in another system.

I find the network gets confused when you re-image a system, it is just a little different and is seen as a new computer.