1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Graphics Card Cooler (Vortex Neo) fitting guide

Discussion in 'Modding' started by coolamasta, 3 Jun 2009.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

If anyone is interested I bought a couple of Akasa Vortex Neo's to cool a couple of BFG Nvidia 9800 GT OC graphcis cards that I use for folding.

Very easy to fit and I used better thermal paste (OCZ Freeze) rather than the standard white paste that was supplied.

Heres some pics of the fitment in order and im damm chuffed with the results, these cards were hitting 80 degrees plus sometimes with some heavy folding projects but with the Neo's fitted neither of the cards have yet gone over 52 degrees under full load and overclocked!!!

Highly reccommended product for just £12 (overclockers) and will fit most popular ATI & Nvidia cards but only disadvantage is they will use 2 card slots but otherwise im very happy :thumb: :rock:

Anyway heres the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

That mb looks a little familiar. ;) What make is the case?

3. coolamasta

Haha I dont mess about mate, wanted to get the cards up and folding again soon as poss but while I was waiting I fitted the Neo's ready to overclock.

I have nooooo idea on the case make though, its just an old 4U rack mount I found in the junk room in work.
    I had to get the hole-saw out and put 2 x 60mm exhaust fans in though and it has 2 x 120mm inlets.

Ive overclocked the E8400 to 3.6ghz on that board by the way and stress tested it for 4 hours last night, all seemed stable enough so its been folding all day so far so good :clap:

4. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Great! That's good to know.

5. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Do those coolers make plugging in the sli bridge any more difficult? From the pic it looks like a right beast to hook up now :D

6. coolamasta

The coolers are no higher than the card so cant see it being a problem bud :D

7. HoistaWheelie

HoistaWheelie Slow but steady

NOISY?

How quiet are they in operation, read mixed reports on the level of noise BUT good thing is that they vent hot air from the case ...

Cheers

8. coolamasta

To be honest mate I cant really answer that lol, they are in a rackmount case with 4 very noisy fans in a very noisy server room :brrr:

9. Matticus

Matticus ...

I can answer that :p

I recently got one of these aswell.

At full speed they are a bit noisey for my liking. With the fan turned down to about 10volts (I think, can't remember my fan speed controllers voltage change) it is a lot quieter and doesn't make any difference to cooling as far as I can tell.

At about 7 volts one of these would be damn near silent and still offer good cooling.

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I might consider these for 9800's in my folding hardware. I have an AC Accelero Twin Turbo in the mail for the single 9800 that's in my rig at the moment, so I'll have to see what sort of an overclock I can get with that ;)

Nice job on the new build. I take it that's the board you got off Clive? What is it?

11. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

It's a different sort of noise. There is much less 'rushing wind' sound, and more of the fairly deep hummimg sound. I found the latter is more effectively blocked by the side of the case, so overall I'd say quieter than before.

What annoyed me most about these coolers is that you can't quite fit them into normally double spaced slots, they are only a millimetre or so too thick. I think probably this could be fixed with some hot tools (poker? file? dremel?) but I haven't really looked hard. Coolamasta does mention this at the start of his thread, and see the final picture, but I thought I'd emphasise the point.

12. coolamasta

Yes mate its the board from Clive, what a legend he is for sorting me out with it :) Its an Asus P5K, ive put a C2D E8400 in and overclocked it to a stable 3.6ghz and so far so good :D

Ive turned the shaders up on these GT's now and they still dont go over 50 degrees even on a 511 pointer! awsome for £12!!! :clap:

13. antasari

antasari What's a Dremel?

Worth replacing GTX 275 stock?

I've got a GTX 275 (XFX) which is now the noisiest part of my machine, so I'm wondering whether to add a Vortexx Neo onto it.

But "noisiest" means "not very noisy at all actually", so I'm not sure if it's worth the bother/loss of warranty.

When it's flat out the GPU is supposedly running at 70C (according the motherboard utility) so I also wouldn't mind lowering that but it's probably fine if I don't.

Will probably just try it and see ... but does anyone have any experience with this card?

14. antasari

antasari What's a Dremel?

Tried and failed: the Vortexx is the wrong shape and the screws don't line up.

It's a shame, since I took the 275 apart anyway to have a look and, even though the plastic shell is large, it seems a bit cramped in there. I would expect the Vortexx's better fan and less restricted airflow would make a difference.

If they bring out a new version, I'd definitely give it a go. (Akasa, are you out there?)

15. coolamasta

Oops if I seen yer post earlier mate I would have said they wont fit the GTX*** cards as the GPU is bigger meaning the holes are wider :(

16. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

What are the chances they will fit a 9600GSO?