1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice how is this for a for a HTPC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zachjowi, 15 Jun 2009.

1. zachjowi

zachjowi What's a Dremel?

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

It might improve the performance if you also included some CPU in the build. I don't really know about the current Shuttles.. They used to be so expensive, but for that price you can't really go wrong. The chipset is pretty ancient, but so what. Just remember to pick some proper CPU and/or GFX card if you want it to run HD-movies.

3. zachjowi

oops

CPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072

there is only the onboard video so I will use the DVI and convert to HDMI for my 52" tv. I'll mostly be playing 700MB videos and the occational dvd from the dvd drive, I think the video will look decent, hopefully

I'll probably be getting a USB tv tunner since there is no pci slots and then I can record tv.

4. zachjowi

are the intel CPU fans considered to be junky/noisey?

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Yep, but if you aren't overclocking, it should be able to keep an E5200 pretty cool.

6. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i have an e7200 in my HTPC. it runs passively with a themalright XP-120 heatsink. it's right next to 2 120MM fans running slowly though, so it all runs fine. might want to consider that route. HD movies are handled admirably, with the noisiest thing in the system being a WD Blue laptop drive.

remember if its a 'proper' HTPC (no current gen gaming) then your priority is 'just fast enough' to handle HD movies, to let you run as silent as possible. the e5200 should be fine. i went overkill with the 7200 as it was a good price at the time, only £4 more.