1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iTunes is not changing music directory

Discussion in 'Software' started by I'm_Not_A_Monster, 16 Jun 2009.

1. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

i have all my media on a NTFS-formatted 500GB hard drive so ubuntu and XP (both installed on a different drive) can both access them

my music folder is at D:\Music and I want to keep it that way. i've told iTunes to use D:\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music for it's "iTunes Music" directory, and deleted the original (and empty) "My Music" folder.

i copy/pasted the iTunes music directory from the iTunes preferences. if you ask iTunes where it's supposed to keep the music it's D:\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music, but every single time i start iTunes it creates a new "My Music" folder and basically creates the files and folders in the default location.

the best part is, not only does it create the blank libraries, but it also ignores the location i preferred. every time i add music to the library, close itunes, and delete the unwanted "My Music" folder i lose all the added music (not deleted, i just get to re-add everything)

how can i fix this?

2. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

Hey monster. That's odd that it's not remembering your settings. A couple of things you could try. First, when you change the location of the library, make sure that "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library" are both checked. After you do that (but before you close iTunes), go to File -> Library -> Consolidate Library. This SHOULD move anything and everything you have in your library to you D:\Music location (granted, it sounds like you already have everything there, but maybe this will "force" iTunes to recognize your changes).

Let me know if that works - or if you've already tried this. Also, I have almost the same setup as you - I think iTunes still likes to make the unwanted Music folder you've been deleting. I just ignore it because my music actually gets copied to D:\Music, and I'm mainly worried about having one location for the music files.

3. I'm_Not_A_Monster

i changed my library dir to D:\Music, checked both boxes, then consolidated, and it's still doing the same thing. i even reinstalled iTunes and tried it.

i guess it's a minor annoyance compared to the other annoying things about this bloated piece of crap software. i thought apple had talented programmers?

whatever though, i guess an easy trick would be to simply make "My Music" a hidden directory, which is what i guess i'll have to do

4. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

Actually, there's one last "shot in the dark" you can try. You can actually change what location Windows points the "My Music" folder to. If you open the start menu and right-click on My Music, select properties. At least on Vista (not sure if XP is different), there's a tab called Location. From there, you can map the My Music folder to D:\Music. Still not sure if this will fix your problem, but might be worth a shot. The only thing is that you'll have to have the D:\ connected (not sure if it's an external or internal drive), or Windows gets confused/sometimes reverts back to the standard location.

5. I'm_Not_A_Monster

i dont see the option in XP