1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel explains future Core i7, i5, i3 branding

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Jun 2009.

1. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

i3, i5, i7 desktop/mobile blah blah blah, Intel i8 your naming plans.

Squallers and Cupboard like this.
  2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Exactly. Who will be able to afford a $999+ 6-core chip?

Hehehe, brilliant. :clap:

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I can see the reviews now

- "the i7 on the second socket beats the i5 on the first sockt but the seoncdes sockt has an extra feature for the i7 but then if...balls to it, lets just say the AMD processor wins"

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Intel seem to have caught Nvidia's naming diarrhoea. The same CPU name for different socket CPU's...... They could easily have said Core i3, i5 and i8 instead of i3, i5, and i7. The switch between 7 and 8 would have made everything clear.

5. TWeaK

TWeaK Guest

So what, are Intel and Nvidia employing the same marketing execs now?

6. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Me, and I will get one... next year.

7. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I have no idea who thought this would be a good idea.

I think they should have released everything at once, with the current i7s restricted to "Xeon" and then use the new naming system for home users.

8. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

Winner +rep for outstanding service to punnery

9. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

WTF. why not just have 1 name for each i5/7/9/1111/-900000000000000005?

10. p-dawg86

p-dawg86 What's a Dremel?

Don't forget that AMD has kind of the same problem with the Phenom and Athlon chips. Yes their organized better but I believe both companies are going to have WAY too many chips on the market - again.

11. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

So let's see if I have this straight:

1) Core 2 will be rebranded as Core i3 so they can sell off their old stock surplus in the face of a newer product. This is the nVidia equivalent of 9800GTX=GTS250, 8800GT=9600GSO, etc. Horrible move, no matter which company does it. It's like MS looking at all these Vista discs they have lying around, slapping a new "Windows 6" label on them, and re-releasing it alongside Windows 7.

2) Lynnfield (1156) will be branded as both Core i5 and Core i7, depending on whether the specific chip in question is or is not castrated. This is a move so ridiculous, I have trouble seeing even nVidia making an equivalent one. 700MB CDs may have been a step up from 650MB CDs, but nobody went around calling them DVDs. You know why? They weren't. This is disingenuous and misleading at the very best. People will be paying more for what they think will be extra performance that won't show up in the product they receive.

3) Clarksfield (mobile) will be branded as i7 despite the fact that mobile chips are almost universally slower than equivalently priced desktop chips. I know that convincing people that laptops can be just as fast as equivalently priced desktops is a time-honored tradition for Intel and AMD alike, but you'll forgive me if I'm not too happy that they're still finding ways to keep the wool pulled over people's eyes here. Unless you're putting a real i7 (whatever that means now) in your laptop, with identical clock speed and all the same features, you're not getting an "i7," you're getting an "i5." The problem is the same as in the previous point - people will pay more for performance that they won't end up receiving in the product.

4) "True" Core i7 chips (i.e. 1366/Nehalem) will be f***ing expensive. I understand that from a purely business standpoint, Intel needed something to compete with Phenom II while they were prepping Lynnfield, but to remove that product from all but the highest end of the market once that gap is filled only serves to keep the best performance away from all but the richest enthusiasts; more money for them, less power for us.

Another reason to buy AMD. At least their naming schema (both CPU and GPU) follow comprehensible formulas and guarantee compatibility.

consumerist.com had better start hounding Intel for this.

- Diosjenin -

pimonserry and Cupboard like this.
  12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Not even Nvidia did this bad..

Well, AMD, you're my next build target.

13. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Yep, everyone that rushed to buy a 1366 Core i7 system based in the Core i7 920 hoping to upgrade later to a new CPU in the same price range was pwned by Intel. :grr:

14. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I don't see why this is the case - the new ones will drop in price eventually then an upgrade can be had.

The 920 is a good processor by itself and so will last for long enough that affordable 6-core+ processors will be around.

15. livenoise

livenoise Virgin Modstar

What's the problem... just look at the processor specs when they come out and buy the one which has what you're after... who cares what it's called?

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

that ntune guy gets around

17. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

You speak truth, I've already forgotten about the sexa-core Gulfstown, even my Q6700 will be fine until late 2010 when Sandy Bridge is launched.

18. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Um is making this kind of statement really acceptable in a news article? I mean if it is not stated then why put that in there?

19. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

20. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

^^ looks like an Intel troll.

because Bit-Tech is probably right...

I dont get why any product would need to be renamed. People like and TRUST consistency. What Nvidia and Intel are doing is like the magicians cup trick.

Tags: Add Tags