1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my big HTPC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sobriquet, 14 Nov 2002.

1. sobriquet

sobriquet What's a Dremel?

this thread is going to be very similar to the one i have running at pheaton, but if i post it here too i'll get more feedback and eventually a better result, anyway you can see all the old updates here but my first post with pictures is here:

Well i promised pics, but judging by the lack of replies to my last post it seems no one believes promises anymore. I'll try to keep this brief, because most of you won't be actually reading it anyway. The box is made from 1/8" aluminum and 4 posts made of cherry wood. the whole thing is assembled with screws, except the front which is attached using 4 socket-cap bolts. The aluminum is thicker than i probably should have ordered, but it gives the box good structure in case i need to put it in a stack (despite it's huge size, it's still an HTPC). The text that describes each of the following pictures will be ABOVE the picture it is describing:

here is a shot of the box without the front on...you can see the front two cherry posts here, and the holes where the bolts go for the front:
    [​IMG]

this next pic is a shot from more straight on without the front on...you can see more of the inside with this one:
    [​IMG]

these are the socket-cap bolts that hold the front on:
    [​IMG]

a shot from above with the front on and the top off:
    [​IMG]

a corner, showing how the front is attached:
    [​IMG]

finally a shot with some components in there:
    [​IMG]

2. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

Looking good so far. Can't wait for more.

btw, what mobo is that and what are the dimensions of your enclosure?

3. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

so far a very clean look that me rikey berry much... that aluminum may be thick but as you said, it will have some strength to stack it with other components if you want to... :clap:

4. sobriquet

the mobo is an asus mATX A7N266 and the box is 17" wide 7" tall and 12.5" deep

i'm going to put a radeon AIW 7500 in it, and a duron 1.3
    the board has onboard LAN and Dolby Digital audio...although i may end up using the audigy platinum i have. I also have a parallel crystalfontz 4x20 blue LCD for the front, but it's kinda small-if i can find a nice big one for cheap i'll replace it eventually.
    i'm also building a 15-key serial-interfaced keypad to control winamp and a few windows functions-that's most likely what i'll build next

5. sobriquet

i have some pics of a circuit board that i made today, can anyone guess what it is? (shouldn't be too hard if you've seen my thread at pheaton)...

anyway here is the front:
    [​IMG]

and here is the back:
    [​IMG]

6. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Looks rather large dude u could probabley fit that on a 1/4 of that board ;) :D

7. sobriquet

yeah it's excessively big, but i needed room for error because i'd never done this before...space isn't really an issue right now

8. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Well I hope you're going to solder some components onto it :D