1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Using decal transfers on a case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by death_munky, 22 Jun 2009.

1. death_munky

death_munky F*** the dremel, i'll use my teeth

Hi folks,

I'm doing a bit of planning for my first mod at the moment.

My intention is to procure an Antec 300, sand the bugger down, spray it up satiin white on the outside with satin black accents and a satin black interior.

I have an idea for a design for the side panel which will be far too complicated for me to stencil and paint myself and I can't afford someone to airbrush it for me.

I can however afford to have the design printed up onto a large (and highly detailed) transfer

Is there anything inherently wrong with using this method and what is the best way of then sealing/protecting the transfer and the paint?

cheers,

Paddy

2. tuberc

tuberc What's a Dremel?

from my experience with buying decals for cars, they stick on real good. So if it stays on a car with huge windspeeds and constant rain/salty roads/ power washers it will never come off your nice dry antec 300.

just take a look at some commercial vans in your area, some have really detailed graphics all over so that should be proof enough.

were you thinking of putting a clear coat over the decals?

3. death_munky

death_munky F*** the dremel, i'll use my teeth

hey tuberc,

vielen dank für ihre antwort

I'm looking to clear coat the case to protect both the decal and the paint. If i use a spray varnish will it react with the glue on the decal or will it be ok do you think?

ich habe die forstwirtschaft in Göttingen studieren, aber nie die möglichkeit hatte, die reise nach München

(i had to look up some of the german there... i am very rusty!)

thanks

paddy

4. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

I remember using some decal set from plastic model kits a while back, the kit is fairly cheap, comes in two parts, brush the first bottle onto the paint, and apply the wet decal, then gently rub out any air bubbles.
    Then apply the second bottle, on model kits you have very fine panel line and details that most decals cant get soaked into and this bottle helps out, it sets the decal into any sort of detail perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Sol-Setting-Solution-oz/dp/B0006O9K5Q

5. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Try Hannant's online: http://www.hannants.co.uk/ - I get all my hobby stuff there

Get a good layer of wet sanded gloss coat before you apply the decal, then give it a couple more coats afterwards to seal the decal in (acrylic gloss may work if the decal reacts to enamel, test first)

Last edited: 26 Jun 2009
  6. tuberc

tuberc What's a Dremel?

hey paddy Im not german, im actually irish and have just moved here. I had to babelfish what you typed out, :D:D

Ive seen both methods on bike fairings before, i mean just applying the decal or spraying clear coat over it. It will be easier to just apply the decal and leave it at that but it might look nicer if you spray the lot with a laquer. The trouble is if you dont like the decal in 6 months time you will have to sand the whole thing back to bare metal if you want to change it, if it is just the decal applied to the final paint job then you can just peel it off.

If the decal was just going on a side panel you could make a decal the same size with the backgroud the same colour as the rest of the case, matching coulours might be tricky but it would be the easiest way to do it.

I remember seeing a project recently where the guy printed a digital camoflage decal and applied it in places to the whole case, i will try and find that again, its prob the answer you need.