1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Recommended PSU for a 12-disk fileserver?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rexxie, 5 Jul 2009.

1. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I've got a fileserver running which has a total of 12 regular 7200 RPM SATA harddrives.
    The power supply used now is old and I don't trust it, so I'd like to upgrade it.

I'm hoping to get some advice on which wattage I should be looking at, and possibly also a specific PSU. I'm assuming I should be looking for something with strong 12V rails (HDDs run of those, right? :) )

Specs:
    Some MSI Socket 939 motherboard
    Athlon 64 3000+
    Geforce 4 MX
    3 PCI SATA controllers
    12 7200 RPM SATA harddrives

I don't plan on adding any more harddrives to the system, and I don't feel like spending a fortune on a PSU... Any suggestions? :)

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

All SATA? How many molex and SATA connectors do you need?

The biggest issue you'll have is start up amps being drawn - 15W (peak) x 12 disks = 180W that isn't too bad, but check what the 5V load is on all the drives because that will be more crucial.

3. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tip.

All disks have both molex and SATA connectors, so I need 12 in total. I've already got plenty of "splitters", so as long as the rail can handle it, this shouldn't be a problem.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'd try to get a PSU with a single hefty 12v rail, makes cabling things up easier when you can just power it from wherever without having to worry about balance things out.