1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google announces Chrome OS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jul 2009.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

All your data are be long to Google.

i believe that's how it's meant to be written.

a OS that require constant internet connection just to get personal files? no thanks. internet isn't everything, i remember back in the days when each student had to carry around a floppy drive with their files on it.

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

3. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

I think people are missing the main difference here. That is, an OS with a $multi-billion company behind it!

Correct me if I'm wrong but no Linux developers have anywhere near the clout that Google has.

4. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

That is without a doubt the most idiotic things I have heard so far. They are not going to make you store your data in the cloud and they would have no reason to want you to.

Chrome OS is a very good thing, at last a company with the money, time & balls to hit Microsoft in there home territory. Google wouldn't be making this move if they didn't already know they were onto a winner. People making assumption's about what it is going to be made out of or what it's going to be capable of are morons since nobody outside of the chocolate factory has any clue and probably won't for some time.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yes.

Although it's BSD based if I remember correctly, rather than linux.

6. DarkLord7854

I don't see how in the world you expect Chrome OS to challenge Windows considering a VERY large portion of Windows-based machines are in the workspace.

Chrome OS is targeted at netbooks, hardly what you'd use for anything more than entertainment and browsing the web, etc.

Granted, we don't even have any details as to how it'll work, what it'll do, what will come with it, etc, so don't put the cart before the horse as the saying goes. :rolleyes:

7. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Will the EU version have all the different browser included, like firefox and opera?

sui_winbolo likes this.
  8. DarkLord7854

It'll also give you the choice to make it the Yahoo OS, Lycos OS, or Bling OS because otherwise it'd be anti-competitive if it was only usable with Google services :lol:

9. fodder

fodder Minimodder

This is a good thing. All the netbooks that have had their price doubled by putting on MS OS and Office kind of defeats the point. (BBC did a report on this recently).

OpenOffice is great and free, but the greater public just don't trust anything that the rest of the sheeps don't use. Google is so synonymous with the desktop of any OS that it is familiar and trusted by said sheep. If google apps is pre-installed ready then a basic office suite (instead of MS crappy works) is available. If OpenOffice could be bundled and endorsed by Google then uptake may be better.

Google gears allows you docs to be synced up between local storage and the cloud, plus allows you to work seemlessly on and offline (anyone with a t-mobile USB modem should try it. Dropping the connection every two minutes is a great test!). This means the argument of 'O noes, my doxumints has been hiddenz from mi ize wiv net lost!' or rather 'no connection=no documents'.

Finally, yes no doubt Google will get data of some sort from your machine. How the hell do you think they make money? But, really, how interested do you think they are in who sits at the machine they have the data from? So what if you like to go to 'over forties milking matrons.com' of an evening, or have schematics for the next big thing to sell at christmas? They are not, ever, going to go and point a finger at you and laugh, or tell your mum.

Also, can you imagine the fallout if they kept tabs on personal info? No, not pretty and I don't think they are that stupid. Enjoy google, revel in the free stuff (Except Google Desktop, that's crap) and use AdBlocker :)

10. splashdream

splashdream What's a Dremel?

So, how do you get your feet wet with a new OS in the market without draining your resources or deficating on your reputation? Create a simple OS that has the architecture and foundation to do much more but target a smaller audience so you have a more controllable implementation model and you get "something usable" out in the market to introduce people to the alternative.

I would look for Google to not stop at just this slimline OS but to actually leverage the kernel they use to bring to market a more full featured OS which realistically could happen within a couple years of GA for the Chrome OS mentioned in this article.

Imagine the possibilities...an OS designed from the ground up to be simple, efficient, and fully extensible with a corporation large enough to support its evolution into the second major OS on the market. I mean come on...if you could have a gaming PC running on a non-microsoft OS which comes pre-bundled with all the basics you need to do business tasks as well as having an emulated windows environment which is efficient enough to run games designed for windows.

This could be right around the corner if google plays its hand properly and doesn't rush the Chrome OS to market. With the negative publicity microsoft received from the vista OS IMHO google has made this announcement at the right time. How nice would it be to have Windows 7 go RTM and shortly there after have a google OS released that would shift netbook users, which is a market sector which is growing rapidly, to a non-microsoft OS and start people thinking about features and functionality they want instead of having an OS which contains so much bloat that it is a resource hog on any machine.

Not saying that the Chrome OS will be the best thing since sliced bread but it will be nice to see if Google has what it takes to shake up the microsoft monopolized business and home OS market.

11. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Yes, but even with 20 or so years of spending millions on marketing it got how much market share? somewhere in the single digit area.

So if apple can't buy the way to success, then why should google be able to?

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Simple Google isn't forcing to you buy its overprice standard hardware.

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Is anyone else entirely put off by this cloud-computing fad?
    Some of us can scarcely get a decent dsl connection, never mind actually compute entirely online.

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I welcome the fact another company is taking a stab at making an OS, but let's be realistic for a minute; even if they do get an emulator or such for gaming, it will never be as good as running it in Windows natively, and that is what will hold Chrome back.

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Okay guys, quick summary to avoid more stupid comments that make me angry:

Chrome OS will basically be Chrome running on a Linux kernel. Every application will have to run in Chrome [WEB application]. Right?
    Personal/local data will be stored LOCALLY with the OPTION to sync with the Cloud.

So, to me at least, that means we won't be able to install FF or OO or anything. Well, I quite like Chrome, though I use FF as my main browser because of the infinite possibilities through add-ons. I'll give it a try once they release the Beta/RC/RTM and I might give the retail version a go if a) the earlier versions were good enough and b) it's free [that's pretty much a given, seeing it's open source].

Now please stop whining about how you're not going to be able to access your data w/o the internet because of big-bad-Google, hmkay?

Thanks.

16. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

Yah, sept for the bit about where Chrome is running on its own windowing system, implying that Chrome (the browser) will not necessarily be the only thing that runs on Chrome (the OS). And even if I'm talking bull, the software is open-sourced, so SOMEone will make it run MAME (the only truly useful piece of software for a netbook) or whatever, eventually.

PS - what happens when you get angry? Do you turn green and start throwing tanks at helicopters?

17. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

multiple sources say you're wrong

18. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Exactly my thoughts.

I'll be sticking to Windows for my main OS and Xubuntu for my Linux play.

I may give it a try, but I can't really see this becoming big...(2 years later Google has taken over for Microsoft, lolz)

19. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I don't see this having a major impact on MS other than in the netbook sector, however I see it almost killing off every other Linux distro.
    The multitude of other distro's will become the reserve of a very, very small user base.

If Google can create an easy to use OS, based on the Linux kernel then I can see it becoming the default for cheap second, or net surfing PC's.

This has the potential to become another OSX, with the ability to be installed on your hardware of choice.

20. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

TBH I dont see this as anything but another Linux distro with Google bits (and tracking) intergrated. But maybe the big name behind it and mass marketing will give it some traction? Anything to give MS and Apple a run for thier money though. :)

Tags: Add Tags