1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Call of Duty World at War

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GravitySmacked, 12 Jul 2009.

1. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Picked this game up at release and thoroughly enjoyed the single player even with it's less than stellar reviews. Had a go on the multiplayer at the time and didn't think much to it especially compared to CoD4.

How things change, been playing the MP a lot over the weekend and it's damn good fun. With its varied and interesting maps and better balancing. One of the better games to play as the sniper class now and best of all less nade spamming then CoD4.

Anyone else playing it and if so can you recommend any servers?

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I was disappointed with the game but I've not even tried the MP. I'm not sure why, I've not played any MP games for quite some time even though they're generally pretty fun.

I may have to give it a look after my hols, even though I have 5 other games to unwrap yet. :D

3. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Only played on the 360 but the MP is enjoyable, played more of it than I have of CoD4...that may just be because my friends were playing though. At least they've given us more than one map pack :)

4. an4rew

an4rew System Builder

Hate the dogs in multiplayer... i'm really waiting for Modern Warfare 2 with modern weapons.

5. adidan

+1

I enjoyed the first CoD MW and spent quite a bit of time on the MP.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Atleast the dogs aren't as b0g as the hugely overpowered and virtually indestructible chopper in CoD4... And I liked CoD4 more than WaW, as WaW seemed more like a cheap mod than a new game. Sure new maps are always good fun for a while, but overall it didn't really seem to offer much over the 4.

And I'm talking about the MP as always, I don't give a rats ass about the SP as it's the worst script-tube-run-marathon ever.

7. Pieface

Pieface Modder

The chopper goes down with about 3 rounds of AK47 ammo, not exactly difficult.

8. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

That's exactly how I felt when I fist played it at release. It's changed now though, imo anyway, slower paced than CoD4 and really enjoyable.

9. adidan

Niin on.

The complete linear nature of CoD does bug me, perhaps that's why I have better memories of CoD MW as I played the multiplayer whereas I didn't with WaW even though they're both as linear as hell.

Perhaps I would have better memories of WaW if I give the MP a go.

10. Mr Flibbles

Mr Flibbles I'm not part of the solution....

WAW - I was not that impressed, never got round to playing multiplayer

Have since re-bought modern warfare (don't know why I traded it in the 1st place, think maybe GOW2, and have been blasting away on MP, really enjoying the sniper class, been playing for about 10 hours (On and Off) and have already got to lvl 23(granted not the quickest time to lvl up)

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I would encourage everyone to try the multiplayer before they give up on this game.

I've been playing it for quite some time now and it's brilliant. The weapons are excellent right from the offset - you don't have to level up a thousand times to get something decent.

The dogs are quite annoying, but there are so many servers out there with either arty and dogs or just dogs disabled that it doesn't really matter.

The maps are pretty god damned good too - there're a couple of poor maps, but all have good bits to them.

Sum it up: It's loads better than the singleplayer campaign, the only thing which really grates me is the over-the-top russian commander's voice, which really is just as bad as the singleplayer.

12. Mr Flibbles

Mr Flibbles I'm not part of the solution....

I was impressed with the Hidden game at the end. Attack of the zombies, fighting for survival. That was a bonus for playing the SP all the way to the end.

13. Jipa

Now that's just wrong.

Also what bugs me about the chopper is the way it's scripted to go after the best player of the team (which more often than not is me) and the way it has WH and shoots through roofs sometimes. Just make those features disappear and I wouldn't have such a huge problem with it. Also it seems too random how many kills you get with the chopper, either nil or 5.

Sure it can be I'm just wrong about the whole thing. Oh wait a sec... No it's definitely not that.

14. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

What sort of AK-47 are you using?

Or do you mean 3 magazines lol

15. Jipa

Even 3 mags isn't enough. It take either many people, an LMG or RPG to take a chopper down. And ofcourse people who play with LMGs tend to have their heads too deep up their... necks... to shoot the heli.

16. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

thats what I was thinkin, and even if you were able to shot down a chopper with 3 mags, you would of more than likely of been taken out by then lol

17. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Not on Crash, so many easy places to protect yourself, And yeah 3 mags :p

Also the Heli doesn't follow the best player, it goes across a set path on each map killing whatever it see's.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I don't know why the Heli is such a big problem. I've never really had a problem with it tbh.

19. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Yeah I don't mean the chopper will necessarally fire back at you, but if the opposing team have any common sense between em, they will notice where the fire is coming from, and cook up some grenades into the general direction, or lay down some lead :D

I should really get back into CoD4 in time for CoD:MW2, can't wait.

Gaz :)

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I play on a no heli server, so its fine.

COD4 is the only game I really play now, its also the first mulitplayer game I find myself coming back to time and time again.

Where as WaW, i got to 10th prestige in 1 day using a 2000xp per kill server, and haven't played it since.