1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Which P45 Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zeus-Nolan, 14 Jul 2009.

1. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

Hi thank you for taking the time to help, I am building another system and im confused to as which P45 motherboard.

I have a Gigabyte P43 motherboard and I'm chuffed with it, The system will be based on a E8400 cpu (which i will be overclocking) and roughly the same spec as you see in my sig, its just the motherboard im stuck on, I would prefer it from scan as it means I don't have to register more accounts.

The link for P45 Motherboards at scan >>>> http://www.scan.co.uk/Index.aspx?NT=1-0-92-548-0

Edit - I forgot to mention my budget it's £70-£120

Thank you - Nolan

Last edited: 14 Jul 2009
  2. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Hi

The Asus P5Q PRO has gotten great reviews, seems to be a very good overclocker, very stable, lots of features in the BIOS, and an all round well built board.

It's got very good cooling heatsinks for the chipsets and bridges etc.

You will also be able to do crossfire if you wanted to.

Gaz :)

3. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

Thank you for the prompt reply I'm hitting the reviews right now

if anyone has any other suggestions let me hear them, I still prefer the layout and ammount of ports on the gigabyte boards but there is so many of them :S

Last edited: 14 Jul 2009
  4. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

5. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

I had totally forgotten I have cpc mags in living room thanks for that, it looks good and not a bad price even beats the P5Q deluxe in a few cases i will certainly look at this one.

Keep them suggestions coming :D

6. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  7. Mickenoss

Mickenoss What's a Dremel?

I read a review recently where the Biostar was reviewed against the P5Q Pro.
    The P5Q Pro was a little more expensive but was pretty much even in all tests against the biostar. The main clincher was that the Biostar overclocks a teenie bit furthur and has two full 16x PCI-E lanes, where the P5Q Pro has two PCI-E sockets but in SLI they go down to 8x.
    But from my sig you can see what I went for, simply because it looks better in my opinion and I won't be taking the SLI route :thumb:

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

There's no SLI or true x16/x16 Crossfire on P45, so I'm not sure where you've been reading reviews, but I'd seriously think about steering clear of them in future if they've got things that wrong.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

EP45-UD3P is one of the best for Crossfire.

The EP45-UD3L is a great choice for single cards.

Or the P5Q if you want to go with the nice color scheme.

10. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

Rofl obviously an important factor for most builders!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Ned

11. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

If you're going for £100 then you could get a X48 mobo, the Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 is now £100, I don't know anything about the board or if it's good I just thought I'd mention it as I saw it in the latest scan newsletter http://www.scan.co.uk/product.aspx?ProductId=23271

12. Mickenoss

Mickenoss What's a Dremel?

It was Custom PC the scallies! But I still reckon the P5Q Pro is awesome

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'd say go with the Gigabyte or the Asus ones.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We've just this week got the Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (reviewed on here) with a Q9550 to 3.9GHz with a Corsair H50. Testing the Asus P45 Gene too (review coming v.soon) at we could "only" get that to 3.7GHz.

The Gigabyte loves fast DDR2 as well - and you can now buy 1.8V DDR2 1200MHz for £60 :thumb:

I still recommend the UD3R even six months later - it's a fantastic board, but you need to keep the northbridge cool with extra airflow ;)

15. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Hmmm if that's the case then I might consider building a LGA775 build instead of an AM3, unless of course lynnfield KICKS ARSE!!!!! lol

16. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

Cheers i read the review when it came out and again yesterday :thumb:, I think that the EP45-UD3R will be my next buy its a good price, looks good (both spec and visual) and has all the inputs i could ever need in the next few years, thanks for all the help guys.

17. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

i looked at the ep45, but not all the sata are available unless running raid setups on the board, and lots of people on extremeforums had trouble using them at all so i'd be careful. my choice was with the asus maximus II formula and its a beast. All the sata inputs work too, no special pass required. loads of features for ocing too!

just something to bear in mind

peace

fatman

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Dunno wtf they are doing because how do you think I test them? :p

Also run both my opticals from the extra SATA on a Gigabyte board at home..

19. francois

francois What's a Dremel?

Quite satisfied with my EP45-DS3P which I've had for a couple of months now - it's a very solid board indeed.Doesn't have any trouble overclocking my E6420 (a B2 Conroe) to 3.66Ghz which is as far as I can go with that chip - I can get it POSTing up to 488mhz FSB , with a Penryn chip this board can easily hit 500+FSB.

All of the Serial ATA ports are controlled by the ICH10R so all of the ports can be used without needing RAID.

20. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

errr maybe i'm wrong. i thought the only other board i was recommended was the ep45 when i was looking, but the layout(sata colouring) doesnt look like what i remember now that i've gone back to look at it. my comment would appear to be moot in this case, still, check extreme forums anyway and see what they say as its a very very strong oc community over there so they may be able to help more seen as they are in the oc market!

peace

fatman