1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Dual Loop CM Stacker est. 2009 - update: 13th April '13

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ry@n, 4 Jul 2009.

1. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Leak Testing!

Thanks, Im going to order a load of cable braid and 3:1 heatshrink from CustomPCs soon to tame all those cables. Also I wouldn't disregard the Heatkiller block just on that basis, its one of the best blocks you can get and with a simple £1.50 extension it fixes the problem:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My order from AquaTuning came this morning while watching Top Gear, it was a hard decision but it looks like I will have to watch the rest of the TG later :nono:

[​IMG]
    Inside was 2 meters of Tygon 1/2" and a few plumbing bits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These male to female extension pieces are a godsend and available in various lengths.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Leak testing! It's been running just over an hour strong now with no leaks and almost all the bubbles have gone.

[​IMG]
    The cat seems to like it anyway!

2. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Looking good.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Very nice and clean, and good use of 45's :thumb:

Have some stars

4. *Alex*

*Alex* What's a Dremel?

thats a verry nice clean loop dude :thumb:

5. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Thanks for the comments everyone, a few problems have occured though.

1. Theres a leak!! The rad drips about once every hour but should be fixable, im not in the mood to rip everything out of the case today but its not major.

2. The DDC pump is LOUD, the top is fixed properly and its mounted on rubber O rings but its still loud. I connnected the speed wire to my fan controller and it reads 0RPM and the turning it down doesn't do anything. I will try it in a mobo header later but this doesn't seem right.

3. the low speed Yate Loons are also loud, and still too loud @ 7v and 3v, thats all four of them too loud and they are screws down tightly.

4. My CPU temp (stock speed) is 38 degrees idle and 84 degrees loaded with Prime95, thats crap! Looks like I also need to reseat the block even though I used about the usual amount of Arctic Silver and set the spring tensions evenly in a cross pattern.

/Rant over

At the moment im still running the PC but with a dish to catch the hourly drips :(

6. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

oo man that sucks but atleast its not spewing out crap all over the place :thumb:

sounds like a good plan on the cabling cant wait to see it, think I worded what I said about the block wrong :( I ment I was going to buy the same block/fitting setup but now after seeing yours ill probably have a search for some similar fittings and still go with the HK block because it just looks to god damn awesome to say no to lol.

7. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

A little UV action:
    [​IMG]

I had to take the picture on my phone ( came out even worse with my propper cam!) Any tips for photographing UV?

8. stuartwood89

Wish I could help there. I'm sure someone asked this question before. I guess a low aperture would do the trick though but I could be wrong.

9. Bullitdodger

Bullitdodger If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

Very nice indeed. I've always liked the stackers....

10. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Thanks :) The Stacker seems to be a love/hate thing and a lot of people think they look tacky but I love them.

11. stuartwood89

By the looks of things, the chassis is rock solid. Tacky looks is down to personal preference. I personally think it looks good, but I definately wouldn't say no to a cleaner looking case with the same internals.

12. Yourmum366

Yourmum366 First-Time Modder

Sorry to hear about the leak Ryan...

Black + silver combo = Epic Win!

13. stuartwood89

Definately.

14. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

very cooll

looks great

15. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Leak fixed!

Recently got back from holiday so I haven't had time to work on the Stacker but I have stripped the watercooling out and fixed the leak, it turned out it wasn't the rad leaking it was actually the male-to-male adapter connecting the res to the pump. I replaced it for a brand new one with longer threads and I haven't had a leak since. As for the overheating issue, I re-applied the TIM three times before someone suggested changing the vCore from Auto to 1.2v (Stock 920 voltage), this actually dropped the temp by over 20 degrees! So far I have managed to squeeze 4.2Ghz out of this chip (12h Prime95 Stable) but im running it at 4Ghz for everyday use.

Also recieved a package this morning from ChilledPCs:

[​IMG]
    Two 38mm thick Yate Loons

[​IMG]
    Scythe HDD Stabilizer II

[​IMG]
    Another XSPC clear top and L bracket, they only had these clear UV blue ones in stock. Im not sure how tacky this is going to look when it glows so I may decide to paint it black :D

[​IMG]
    ChilledPC black braid and heatshrink, much better than the AC Ryan stuff I have used in the past.

[​IMG]
    Self adhesive hooks to help tame some of those cables.

16. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Lighting

Today I did loads of cable sleeving and made a start on the lighting and switch panel.

My work area:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Auto wire strippers, a must!

[​IMG]
    For the switch panel I have spliced into the live wire and and connected it to a switch so that all CCFLs or LEDs that are plugged into this daisy chain will be controllable with the same swtich.

[​IMG]
    I didn't have any large heatshrink but I will buy some to replace the insulation tape as it looks icky lol

[​IMG]
    In place, just need to find a forth switch to fill the hole :hehe:

[​IMG]
    So far I have fitted two green cathodes to the bottom of the case using velcro so they are easy to swap out if I get bored of the colour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is as far as progress goes im afraid, I under-estimated when ordering the cable sleeving and heatshrink. I originally was only going to sleeve the cables that were visible from the inside of the case but now im just going to sleeve everything and hopefully replace all of the white molex connectors for black ones.

17. stuartwood89

So it was your leaky nipple all along.... Glad it's sorted out. I have big heat shrink and some black molex connectors if you fancy. How come you're using thick fans?

18. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Yes please as long as you don't need them, the thick fans push more air with the same noise as the 25mm version, I would use them all over if there was enough room.

19. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

Looks like this is gonna be a very good build.

I Would of had one dim white light, just casting some soft light over the components, and let the Green coolant light the rest, but each to there own.

20. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

always good to have a spare switch :p