1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Running quad core / crossfire on air?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cookie Monster, 18 Jul 2009.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Well it's my birthday in about a week, add that with some savings and I hope to be able to build a new PC. Now i've never really been into / understood the whole hardware side of thing so if you think I have something wrong speak up please.

I'm thinking of a combination of an AMD Phenom II X4 955 BlackEdition on a MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard with 6Gb of RAM or so and a pair of GFX cards (not sure on which RAM and GFX yet).

As i'm not really into hardware I won't be overclocking the system so would it run ok without watercooling or am I just stupid?

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

It'll be fine on air

3. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

As long as you have a decent case with well directed airflow you wont have any problems at all.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

its all designed to run on air cooling at stock speeds, there is even a little extra thermal headroom which allows for a little overclocking.

5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

It will be in a Lian Li V1200 Plus, at a minimum it will have a 120mm intake bottom front, middle rear then two in the roof to take it out (might even cut it for 3 so I can fit a rad in at a later date.

I just wanted to check as it will cost looking towards £600 - £700 all in i think and didn't want it all to fry first time I turned it on.

6. francois

francois What's a Dremel?

You won't have any trouble running a Crossfire setup and quad core at stock at all with a case like that!

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

It would be noisy as hell but sure, it will work. Hardware manufacturers don't put out anything that could cook itself on stock cooling.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Actually, IIRC, the V1200 was a pretty bad cooling case, because not much air gets into the top section of the case. if I were you, I'd put in at least a single 120mm fan in the roof, or preferably two and a grill to give the GPU's some air to breathe.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Yeah my V1000b cooked that crap out of my old nforce4 board until it died, i had to mod a 120mm fan into the top which is what it should have always had.

So a stock V1200 would cause crossfired cards to cook seriously fast!