1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards a LOUD "pop" noise as the power was turned on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sich1, 30 Jul 2009.

1. sich1

sich1 9800 pro...wow

[​IMG]

hi guys

a fast response needed here please, after a new build this pm power was applied and a loud pop followed by no display on screen occured:jawdrop:. never ever had a problem before.
    the above pic shows the scorch/blackening on the mobo with what looks like a hole in the capacitor/board component.

[​IMG]

this is the mark on the graphics card. was this caused by the mobo or did the graphics card cause the failure on the mobo? this point on the graphics card sits directly above the mobo blackened area.
    both new components delivered this am.
    mobo gigabyte ma770t-ud3p
    graphics xfx 4850 xxx

trying to work it out if its better to return the mobo for refund and purchase another so i can finish the project or return the graphics card and the rest of the order(from another supplier)
    cpu etc. psu is brand new ocz, the fans etc all spun up as normal. red led on the back of the graphics board still shows ...is this ok or indicate a fail?? i get the same inpedance on the poss affected pot of the graphics card as i can get on the pot next to it...if that helps.

tks in advance
    stu

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

So much for Ultra Durable :p

The bottom pic looks like a capacitor fail but the top pic is just dust.

3. sich1

sich1 9800 pro...wow

i thought it was the other way round (top pic/mobo gone pop) especially as i get the same impedence readings from adjacent capacitors on the graphics card, would i still get the same reading??and there looks like a whole in the component on the mobo?? was the red led on the graphics card just to show power on the pcb??
    i will brush away the dust on the mobo and see what i find on the mobo.
    tks for fast response

stu

4. sich1

sich1 9800 pro...wow

a bit of work with a cotton bud and it appears you may be right. is this a known prob with xfx or 4850's??. it now looks like no hole in the mobo component.....must have been blind at the time..

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ahh that's an XFX card? Apologies to Gigabyte then for the blue PCB assumption.

I think you just got unlucky with a bad cap.

6. sich1

sich1 9800 pro...wow

Ahh that's an XFX card?

oh, thats got me worried i have chosen a duff board manufacturer for the 4850!!:eyebrow:
    i have always held them in good esteem in the past...
    just dont want to have to pay out even more for the return of a non faulty rma'd graphics card,
    im a tight bugger in that respect:sigh:. even large companys like scan charge £10+re-delivery charge if its a non faulty rma!!. so i need to be pretty sure its the graphics card, and your advise seems to ring true of what may have happened with the faulty cap and the dust that has blown out of it.

surely only a cap of the gfx card size could make a load pop,surely those tiny components on the mobo couldn't make a pop that loud or am i wrong there...has anyone heard one go??

chrs
    stu

Last edited: 30 Jul 2009
  7. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

When my 4870X2 (the first one) died I RMA'd it to ebuyer, and the technician did the phone equivalent of a shrug and just said "meh, it happens all the time, some whir, some squeek, some explode" . . . .:thumb:

8. sich1

sich1 9800 pro...wow

cheers guys its going back today......lets see how long it takes to come back eh!!.
    always the test of a good company, seeing how long they take to fix a problem.
    scan.....all eyes are on you..

rgds
    stu

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Scan will just replace it on the spot if you're in person. Never RMAd via post with them though.

10. Joey9801

Joey9801 Eric the Half a Bee

I actually LOL'd

11. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Nothing wrong with XFX

I don't think Bindibadgi was trying to tell you XFX cards are crap, if you read his post it looks like he's saying that he thought the CARD was Gigabyte... Gigabyte make ATI cards doncha know? Nothing wrong with XFX, you just got a bad card...

12. sich1

sich1 9800 pro...wow

wish i lived closer i would have made the trip.. hay ho..
    wasn't that amusing when the card blew....a few choice words hit the air.
    especially as i had routed all cables neatly and tied down all loose bits.
    had to put my old pc back together, that really gets on your t**s when you
    just shelled out on new parts...:wallbash:
    tks for the info guys, can you claim postage back on the rma??

stu

13. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I've always found Scan to be great on RMA's. Saying that, I always drive to them as they are only just over an hour away from me.

I remember them replacing my 8800GTX without question a few years ago. Was quite lucky considering it was my fault. I had fitted a new soundcard and for some reason unknown to me, I rested the metal expansion port cover on the graphics card (the exposed reverse of the circuit board - you can see where this is going). Of course me being me, I immedietly turned on the pc to see how great the soundcard was. No idea on sound, but the sparks that flew all over my case looked lovely before it went pop.

14. sich1

sich1 9800 pro...wow

scan RMA

sounds like the service is 1st class..if you pop in. i was reading their terms+cons
    yesterday and the time for an rma can be anything up to 10 days. i mentioned this in the reply to their rma mail and was told that timeline was for extreme cases.......we will see.
    i will be more than pi***d of if it takes more than 5 days,especially if the error is on their part supplying faulty goods. posted special delivery today, i will track it on their website + on the p/o site and see where we get.....can i claim the postage back from them??

stu

15. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Lol Joey9801, I almost laughed over the phone too :D but then the crushing reality of a £340 paperweight and my partner glaring over my shoulder changed it to a gentle sob . . . still, sorted now, good one ebuyer! :D scan have always been excellent with me so hopefully good things will follow.

16. sich1

sich1 9800 pro...wow

Scan will just replace it on the spot if you're in person. Never RMAd via post with them though.

i wish i could report that the service by post was anywhere near as good....but it is not!.
    they received my graphics card on monday 3rd and diagnosed the card faulty on the same day. wont go into too much of a rant but after unanswered emails and not a lot of joy, iam going to recive my replacement on wednesday 13th sometime.. totally puts me off shopping with scan again, why should it take this long??. the initial purchase went smoothly with no problems and prompt service, but rma...well, they need to do a lot of work on that service before i shop there again...rant over.
    has anyone else had good/bad service on rma's from scan??
    stu