1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 4850 and mouse freeze!!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by tictactoe, 3 Jun 2009.

1. tictactoe

tictactoe What's a Dremel?

Trying to upgrade from 1950pro to a Sapphire 4850. So I uninstall the Ati drivers, shut down, install card and connect 6pin power feed, switch on and reboot. Windows starts, but before I get to the log on screen, the screen is blank and the mouse is frozen at the centre of screen. I've tried using different ports for the mouse - no difference. Mouse and keyboard are the Logitech EX110 combo, the DVI cable is the 'D' version (without the extra 4 pins), and the monitor is a DGM 22" running at 1680x1050, though when accessing the OSD it shows that it's running at 1400x1050, which may be where part of the problem lies, but I can't find any way to change that!:sigh:

Is my PSU up to it?

Any ideas folks?

P.S. System is as my sig and running MCE fully patched.

2. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

does it behave if you put the x1950 pro back in?

3. tictactoe

Yep, no probs there. After reinstalling the driver, that's how I got to post this morning.
    I'll try it with an analogue VGA cable later to see if it works with that, but that's not the way I'd like to run this card.:rolleyes:

Last edited: 3 Jun 2009
  4. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

if you have a copy of driver cleaner try using it to delete your old drivers.

Also, if you can, try the new card in another PC.

Youre corsair PSU has a 5 year g'tee and should have enough power to run, but you could try disconnecting extra case fans, hdd's etc.

5. tictactoe

Thanks for your input folks:) I got it to display correctly by changing a couple of settings in the bios to do with PEG link, but I'm not entirely sure what each of the settings refer to (must do more reading of the manual!) Will bench and see what happens, but I'm not entirely happy that the board is as stable as it used to be:worried:

Just strange that it wigged out like that, reminded me of the old IRQ addressing issues that used to be more common.

I am pretty sure that the PSU is up to it, but will put a power meter at the socket tomorrow and see what it comes up with.

:thumb:

6. tictactoe

Well, after over 2 years of a 50% overclock, my rig decided that it wanted a little rest:sigh:, so it's back to default settings for a little while! It HAS been wigging out occasionally recently:eyebrow:, but then it started doing silly things in Windows:nono:, so it's time for a little holiday from being overworked, bless it's little transistors! Mind you, it runs games very sweetly now with the 4850, so all get up and go is not lost:)

7. tictactoe

Update

Contrary to my Sig, my PSU was a Hiper 580 (don't know how that happened, but I was doing a lot of system building at the time!) So the POS PSU was dying on me, and did eventually did die and took the new card with it:duh: Awaiting an RMA on the card, (the PSU was a month out of warranty:grr:!!) Now running with a Corsair 550 (honest), and a spare 4350 to keep me ticking over.

8. tictactoe

Resolved

Got a new 4850 through the RMA, (arrived the day before my birthday,sweet), and all is fine.
    Haven't got round to getting the E6300 back to 2800MHz, just haven't got the time at the moment.

Idle power = approx. 115W
    Gpu loaded = approx. 200W

Thanks for your help folks:thumb: