1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Using a usb webcam, i want analog out. is it possible?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kevloon, 24 Jul 2009.

1. kevloon

kevloon What's a Dremel?

I have a logitech USB webcam and i took it apart. i want to use the camera to get an analog signal that i can feed into a recording device, (a capture card, small camera, and even wire into a viewfinder)

is it possible to do this?

2. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Hmm, I dont believe so. I believe it sends digital info down the usb cable to the computer, where it is decoded as a video.
    You could create your own circuitry that does this without the computer, but I don't know how to do that.

3. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

If you want to record, you might as well use: CatSpy

This is a pretty good surveilance tool, I've used it to catch thieves in my area in the past, and hooked up with some IR-LEDS and a simple mod with some film over the lens gives you a no visible light source solution for awesome night-vision spying!

It also has the ability to detect movement, and email snaps of the culprits directly to you.

4. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

What kind of analogue signal are you considering? TV signal sort of thing? Or VGA?

I'd say there are two main ways of doing this.
    The first would be to intercept the video signal somewhere inside the webcam before it is prepared for usb (if it makes much difference), and add circuitry to construct whatever analogue signal you require. This isn't going to be that simple! I don't really know what kind of signals will be kicking about on a webcam board, but hopefully you'd be able to find something analogue already there (good luck), or at least something digital that you'd be able to convert with your own circuitry.
    The second method would be to let your computer do the work and somehow output the video feed using VGA, S-Video, Composite or something. Much easier!

Hope I've understood your question properly!