1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor Flicker

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by planki, 5 Aug 2009.

1. planki

planki ...

I bought a new flatscreen monitor today a 20" HP 2009v, but it seems to have a persistent flicker that i would not say is normal!

It's more noticeable on some different coloured backgrounds than others, but you can definately see a flickering of the lines down the screen.

It's connected to my laptop via VGA, and is currently set on 32bit, 60hz and 1600x900. These are the manufacturer recommended settings. I have also installed the drivers that came with the laptop and done the usual auto adjust button etc.

I've done all of the usual error checking such as checking the connection, trying a different cable etc and also moving any sources of interference such as magnets, using a different power socket to avoid surges etc but no luck!

Has anyone else got any ideas or do you reckon its knackered and back to the shop it goes?

Cheers.

2. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

I would be tempted to check it with a desktop pc first. My experience with monitors hooked up to laptops via VGA has never been entirely flicker free.

It's possible it could be a ground loop, or simply electrical noise from within the laptop itself.

Krikkit likes this.
  3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Try connecting it to a different source. If all else fails use a different cable or just simply use DVI.

Krikkit likes this.
  4. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

go into your flat-panels settings and try adjusting the phase, sometimes flicker occurs over VGA even on lcd if the clocks on your gpu vs the monitor are out

Krikkit likes this.
  5. planki

planki ...

thanks guys.

I've tried all of the above to no avail earlier. However i was messing around earlier and tried my dad's laptop a Sony Vaio which was sat on my desk plugged in and it worked fine, I couldn't get it to go to the full resolution it would only go to 1280x900 instead, but there was no flickering that i could see.

I then tested again on my laptop but this time with the lid open and sat on my desk, as opposed to previously where my laptop's lid had being closed and tucked under my desk and on a cupboard and touch wood there doesn't seem to be any flickering any more on the full settings.

so I'm thinking one of two things here:
    1) its an intermittent problem with the monitor and i've just being lucky at moment
    2) my laptop was possibly overheating under my desk which was causing the flickering?

is number two a serious possibility? if so I'll obviously move it!

cheers.

6. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

maybe the standby switch for the laptop screen is being sensitive ? as i had a problem where mine was going on then off then on but was every 3 seconds so i didn't really think of it as flicker lol

7. planki

planki ...

i dont think thats the problem mate.

tried upgrading the bios as well now, but still no luck.

im stuck for ideas, surely the graphics card should be able to support a monitor of this resolution?

8. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

hmmm have you tried disabling your laptop screen in your graphics panel ? is it ATI of Nvidia ?