1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Case Fan Hypothetical

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gavo, 8 Aug 2009.

1. Gavo

Gavo The Tall One

What would happen if you plugged in your case fan to the PSU and the mobo?

I just want to know. Thanks.

2. Gavo

Gavo The Tall One

What would happen if you plugged in your case fan to the PSU and the mobo?

I just want to know. Thanks.

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Your case fan has two power connectors? that would be the only way to plug it into both at the same time.

4. Gavo

Gavo The Tall One

But what would happen?

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I dont know enough about electricity to answer this with any authority.
    Trying to figure out it the current would double or if the voltage would double.
    Either the fan goes faster or the computer wont turn on. one of the two.

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

The voltage shouldn't change from 12v or whatever voltage the fan uses but IIRC objects pull power from the power supply/motherboard/whatever else they're plugged in too, so if I was to take a wild guess I'd say the fan half the required power from the mobo and psu or just pull it's required power from either the mobo or psu. Feel free to shove my face in the sand and laugh at me if I am completely wrong :)

7. Gavo

Gavo The Tall One

(bump)

8. Gavo

Gavo The Tall One

Hmm...maybe I shouldn't do this, then, if I'm not sure what's gonna happen.

9. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Nothing would happen... The fan would run off of 12v, and since the fan header and the power supply are both giving it the SAME 12v, the only thing that would change would be the available watts for the fan. I don't know of any fans off the top of my head that would require more watts than a motherboard header can supply.

10. Gavo

Gavo The Tall One

So it wouldn't short out the fan?

11. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Shouldn't hurt the fan in any way.

12. Gavo

Gavo The Tall One

Cool, because the problem is that my fan isn't running at its max (it has a controller) when plugged into the mobo, but when in the PSU, it's fine, but if I just do the PSU, the computer ****s up a bit and says "System Fan Malfunctioning" and whatnot. SO I'm thinking, if I did both, then the PSU would allow it to go to the max?

13. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

If you want to power the fan while still sending speed signal to the fan headers, all you had to do was say so!

The fan header should have three wires, red, black, and white (typical colors, let me know if yours are different). The red wire is the 12v line, the black wire is the ground, and the white wire is the speed sensor wire. What you want to do is remove the red wire from the three pin connector, hook it directly up to 12v from the power supply, and remove the black wire, and hook it directly up to the ground from the power supply.

Or as an alternative you can buy yourself one of these...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...-pin_Adapter_w_RPM_Monitoring.html?tl=g47c251

Also note, you should be able to set your fans manually to 100% in the bios of the motherboard. If you haven't tried there, I would recommend checking it first.

14. Gavo

Gavo The Tall One

I did, I got a pre-fab from HP (I know, but my parents don't want me screwing around with a custom, too much risk. Anyways, the mobo is **** and I can't. Can't even control it through SpeedFan.

Thanks, I'll try this out.

15. Gavo

Gavo The Tall One

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It depends how the fan is wired with the two connectors. The possibilities range from it not starting, to going far too fast, and nothing. :p

17. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I have one cheap fan that has the power leads in serial, and most fans have them in parallel.

If the former, the fan will go REALLY REALLY fast and get REALLY hot and start smoking, stop, and cause a short circuit, hopefull shutting down the PSU. (tested stuff)

The latter should cause nothing, but could possibly cause instabilities/damage to the motherboard because of the small voltage differences between the molex leads and the motherboard traces.

18. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Good point mmvr - I wondered why my post hadn't shown up, I assumed it was just a silly error with Firefox.

Threads merged. Please don't post two threads on the same topic.

20. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Doesn't the antec tri cool have the speed switch?

Slow/Medium and fast.

Also, when the fan is plugged into PSU and not mobo, you should be able to go into the BIOS and turn off a setting that will be something like "fan stop warning".

I've never known them to moan about a case fan though, usually its just the CPU fan that they put a warning on. Sure the case fan isn't running on the CPU fan header?