1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Batman: Arkham Asylum (Demo + Retail!)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by vdbswong, 7 Aug 2009.

1. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

You know it's a good demo when you play it three or four times and it does seem to get better each time.

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I really enjoyed the demo but the combat seemed a bit easy. I was expecting to be able to interact with the scenery more, such as setting of a fire extinguisher with the batarang. Will probably get this when it comes out though. :thumb:

I have never read a comic book in my life but i am assuming the joker model is based on how he looks in the comics? Its weird after seeing him so brilliantly interpreted in the dark knight to have him so different in the game. I found all the character models a little weird and stiff looking.

3. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

That's true, but then as someone else pointed out (i think it was here :worried:) that not many people would stand up to Batman in a fight anyways :p.

However, the main thing i thought made combat easy was the "lightning bolt" above Batman's head indicating when an enemy was about to attack so you could counter. Hopefully when this is removed on the "Hard" difficulty setting then the combat will feel more difficult/challenging.

Yeah, he's based on the comic book version of the Joker, which was around way longer before "The Dark Knight"'s one ;) :p lol.

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I am so impressed with this. It felt so polished. I know it's odd, but the menu system was perfect. It's the first impression of a game and it's quality and it was really solid and easy to use.
    In that first bit of the game, i was suspicious of how much fun could be had with the brawling, but then that room where you had to sneak about steality killing people was awesome. I can't wait!

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Played demo through Steam, never liked this style of gameplay before but it does work incredibly well and graphics were good aswell.

ill be buying for PC when i can afford, not desperate but a defo future purchase

6. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

That was sheer awesomeness. Sold! :D

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

+1. A good, responsive menu is the fastest way to impress.

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Actually, for me, the menu was quite laggy.

9. Snaek

Snaek What's a Dremel?

Wow, sounds like good fun. *Goes to download*

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Really enjoyed the demo, even if it was just a tutorial, would have been nice if it was a bit longer but it's enough for me to pre-order it now.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Loving it. I'm concerned that I'm going to wear the demo out >.>

I've fallen in love with the character designs, and I am so happy with the voices that we heard - and so glad that some vets of the series have come into the game.

I was especially pleased with Harley Quinn - A character I was initially worried about, since she's quite difficult to capture. I think both the designer and the voice actress did an exceptional job. Her movement style in the short piece we saw her in was absolutely perfect for her.

Looking forward to getting my sticky mits on the game.

One thing I found was that the counter was, mostly, useless. I mean, if you can't get out of the way, you can easily hit them before they hit you - I especially love kicking them in the face for a take-down. Particularly the goon with the gun talking to the Joker over the video chat. Running kick and he flies into the monitors. So pretty :B

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I played the demo again last night and not being able to interact with the environment like i want to is beginning to annoy. I want to be able to break lights with my batterang to scare the goons. :miffed:

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I found it useful if you were kicking the crap into some guy and another comes behind you and is about to hit you.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That is a key feature really, I hadn't even tried it - I just assumed that it worked!

15. Zippededo

Zippededo What's a Dremel?

Now i dont normally like superhero games it seems like they just whip up any old crap which follows the same story as a movie and put sum trash out to buy out on time ...

But this one looks really good, for starters its free roam i ges you can fly/glide around the city and the fight system looks very good... i noticed a few AI features like if you kill someone they go and check as they all have heart monitors and you can see them getting more and more scared and if they get scared enough thell jus start shooting into the shadows blindly ...

Thats just one of the features i like and i cant wait to get the proper game on the 28th and try it out for real.

16. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Really really enjoyed the demo. played it through quite a few times for the last room, messing about with different ways to get them all (the glass takedown is fun),
    The AI seems pretty good. I once jumped down infront of a terrified guard (by mistake) and he cowered and was too scared to attack me for a couple of seconds.

the camera in the first couple of rooms seemed really close up, would be nicer if it was a bit further away.

And it has the voice cast from batman TAS, which sold me on it initially.

17. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

The only thing that bothers me a bit is the over-the-shoulder camera

18. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

well I've preordered it so it should be here by the end of the week :D

19. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

:D
    I must get it soon!

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

fantastic demo. too short but it's a demo, not full game. can't wait to take the joker down. the demo made me re-watch all 6 batman films over this week.

PhysX was great also, put it on highest and the cap is really realistic. much better than seen on gametrailers' console review