1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Did I break my video card?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bcooper56, 21 Aug 2009.

1. bcooper56

bcooper56 What's a Dremel?

Ok i did some heavy overclocking yesterday now im getting 20fps inf fallout 3 on stock settings where i was getting around 60fps! Not sure if it just overhated but i left it for about 8 hours same thing and fps what should i do maybe it's setting i change should i do system restore or is my grapihcs card ****ed?

Specs:
    i7 920
    gtx 285
    6g of ddr3

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It sounds like you've got some overheating issues. What are your temps?

When you say heavy overclocking, what do you mean? How heavy? Are you still using the stock cooler?

Looking at the review of a few GTX285's on Bit the load temps are pretty high at 80+'C, so overclocking will only make it worse.

3. bcooper56

I was getting around 75 celsius but then my computer crashed and i rest all stock and now im getting 20fps in fallout 3 and 10-20 in crysis. Not sure about the stock cooler i did not build my pc.

4. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

You probably damaged something on your PCB (Which will need RMA). I had this exact same problem before with my 4870X2 (Which I had to replace).

5. bcooper56

Really wow by the way i did not build my pc it's a dell xps 730x im guessing i should phone and tell them but ill be quite and say i did not overclock since that would avoid my warenty right?

6. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Yes don't tell them anything about overclocking, don't even mention it. Just say it stopped working properly or what your problem(s) is now, they cant tell if you've overclocked your card.

7. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

The guaranteed RMA line in my eyes is "It artefacts in 3D Mark", tell em that and they'll stop talking and post you a new one.

And if push comes to shove you might be okay with your warranty anyhow, I used to be the *ahem* proud owner of a 630i, and there was a big hype how it was like the only OEM system there is that O/C'ing the CPU didn't void your warranty. Not sure if that extends to your graphics card, but it's something to look into if they get arsey.