1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dual displays

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Surnia, 28 Aug 2009.

1. Surnia

Surnia What's a Dremel?

I've been using dual displays for a while now, but with a pending system upgrade I'm wondering what to get for the primary display.

Currently I plan on reusing the 19" @ 1280x1024 as a secondary monitor, but not sure what to get as a primary display. I'm leaning to 1920x1200, but a 1920x1080 does sound feasible as well (in the case of weird stretching, I can just use the 19" for a more standard scaling). Any recommendations on which to use? I'm looking for a 22-23" monitor if that helps, and preferably cheap...

2. Nippon109

Nippon109 What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 28 Aug 2009
  3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I would get 2x 20".

Sadly cheap monitors will be TN, and dual monitors + TN is...well icky in terms of viewing angle. Perhpas some pros can recommend some MVA monitors as I'm an IPS only guy.

4. Surnia

Surnia What's a Dremel?

Viewing angle shouldn't be a problem, as I have EVERYTHING pointing at me (speakers, and monitors), or the approx. position that i'm always in when i'm on the computer.

i've thought about IPS, but I really doubt i need the performance of an IPS (or would be able to notice) or could justify the cost.

does anyone know how good the cheaper Dell or Acer TN screens are?

5. Elton

You would notice it. And you can simply find some good monitors on Ebay. Trust me it's harder than you would think if you wanted 2 monitors pointed at you.

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I don't think someone who is an IPS only guy can really tell you how TN monitors would work in this case.

If you're just going with two monitors, the angle isn't large enough for the viewing angle issues to be noticeable...

7. Elton

True. But the IPS only thing is now. I have used TN panels enough to grasp how bad they are. Of course how he sets it up might not be too bad.

So pretty much any monitor should suffice. Really.

8. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

Define your idea of cheap?
    ViewSonic VX2260WM 22-Inch 1080p HDMI LCD Monitor is a decent option. Reviewde here on bit-tech as well.
    Costs less than $200

9. Surnia

Surnia What's a Dremel?

that actually looks like an extremely nice option...
    however, I managed to find the dell SP2309W for $300 CDN, so the display hunt is over for now (2048x1152 native, wonder how bad HD might look on that....)!

thanks for all who contributed!