1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows dx9 / dx10.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by sich1, 13 Sep 2009.

1. sich1

sich1 9800 pro...wow

hi all

have 2 operating systems installed,xp sp2 and win 7 ultimate dual booting. as much as i like the win 7 gui and visuals i seem to have a problem with the graphics card crashing in dx10.1. d/loaded the latest ati drivers, but still a hassle when it crashes. can anyone advise on how to run graphics under dx9 in win 7 ult?. is it that my graphics card rad 4850 lacks the capability to run in dx10.1 mode? im not sure on that one!!.

system amd 550be/rad4850/giga udp3/640mb west dig/600w ocz pwr.

any help appreciated.

stu

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I don't know why you're experiencing problems, but the 4850 is definitely DX10.1 capable like all other 4000-series ATi cards and unlike all current nVidia cards (save for some mobile parts).

Latest ATi Catalyst drivers are v9.9, by the way. Are those the ones you've tried?

3. sich1

sich1 9800 pro...wow

yup thats the ones i downloaded from the amd website.
    shows little speckles in the picture just before freezing>>>
    also freezes when i run the win 7 rating test!. can it be forced
    to use dx9 or will it automatically kick into that mode when needed??
    sorry for silly questions!!

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

white speckles? sounds like the card is overheating- you can try downclocking a bit and see if they disappear.. if they do, you can re-do the tim on the card and re-think your case airflow

they usually do a horrible job on the thermal paste to the gpu, and make sure all pads on memory are intact

5. sich1

sich1 9800 pro...wow

could be overheating, but i can run games for an hour non stop with 8xaa and
    max settings without problems? also runs fear for hours!.can run both cores@3.5 stable on prime so have ruled out psu. wondering if it just a case of waiting for better drivers once the os is released. :confused:

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

7. sich1

sich1 9800 pro...wow

tks for the advise will read up on that site