1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Building Process: assistance on first build

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Hoffs, 21 Sep 2009.

1. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

Hi there. I'm in the process of building my new pc. But have run into some problems early on!
    Here's my spec:
    Intel i5 750
    MSI P55 GD65
    XFX 4890
    Zalman CNPS10extreme
    Silverstone Raven 2
    8gb of Corsair DDR3
    Corsair 750w PSU.

Here are a few problems

1) I've spent about 2 hours trying to mount the cooler onto the board. But the screws are in such an obscure place that I just cannot get at it. I even went to Homebase to buy an extra long thin screwdriver but that didn't work. I ordered my parts just over a week ago but the mobo only turned up today. Can I still return the item back to Scan and return it for a different cooler?

2) I've assembled everything inside my case, read the manual and made sure everythings plugged in and correctly seated. But when i went to turn on the system, nothing happened. The lead from the mains to the psu didn't seem particularly stable and seamed to wiggle about a bit. When I wiggled it, it made the sound similar to the kind of sound when you wiggle a speaker plug into it's socket.. A bit like a buzzing.

Please advise on these 2 points, thanks :)

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

new kettle lead should sort out problem 2... The popping sound means that the electricity's making contact with the PSU, so (hopefully at least) it's not your PSU

as for the cooler problem the main thing I can recommend is getting someone with smaller, girlier hands... AFAIK scan will accept the return as you've had difficulty fitting the item... especially if you bought the P55 motherboard from them as well

3. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

Wow! Changed the kettle lead for an old one and turned on! All fans spun up and sounded good :) Thanks so much!

As far as the cpu cooler goes, i'll try again another day with a bit more patience and maybe some assistance from mum.

Another quick thing.. I've got all the stand offs lined up in the case but when i seem to screw one of them in, it seems one opposite pops off.. Almost as if the motherboard is slightly bent.. Am I right to think this?

Another thing, I ordered on about the 10th sep and stuff got delivered on 15th.. How much later can I leave it for asking for a refund? And i didn't buy the Motherboard from scan, Got it from overclockers for the cheap price.. May have bad customer service but they got me the goods and I've heard worse stories than mine on this MSI offer.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2009
  4. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

to be honest I'd say the 22nd was the cutoff date, if you scan your receipt for opstage in, send it in in an email and explain that you can't work it (and that it was sent back within 7 days)

5. DLEProductions

DLEProductions Old CPC forum guy :D

probably the case standoffs put in the wrong place slightly, other than the motherboard been out of shape
    :)