1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Can anybody recommend a 30” gaming monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chainsmoker, 27 Sep 2009.

1. Chainsmoker

Chainsmoker What's a Dremel?

My system is used for business during the day & gaming after hours. I’m currently using two Dell 2407WFP’s, but due to a desk reshuffle (just had to add a thin client running its own 20” screen, as well as a laptop docking station), I need to lose one screen yet maintain a large working area.

The gaming aspect of the monitor is my main priority, as the work apps I use don’t have any special requirements.

Automatically looked at the Dell 3008WFP as I’ve had nothing but good experiences with Dell’s in the past, but it seems to be getting mixed reviews on gaming performance.

A colleague has recommended his Apple Cinema, but the single input & basic stand puts me off.

I have a budget of £1200, but would stretch a 'little' further if there’s a must-have model. Although that NEC reviewed here is a bridge too far if it’s still anywhere near that listed price.

Also...
    I’m upgrading to an i7 when the dual 5870 is available. Until then, how much of an FPS hit can I expect to take with my current rig (E8600, 4gb 1066, 4870X2, Velociraptor) when running at 2560 as opposed to 1920? The current build can run any game I own (incl. DoW2, Arma2, X3TC & GTA4) at max settings without any visible lag, but would the jump to 2560 be too much to maintain in general with the current hardware?

Thanks.

2. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

3. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

You've essentially hit an odd part of the market. There aren't too many TN+Film 30" LCD's and frankly they're a waste of money usually. On the other hand, your budget allows you to afford a Dell, NEC, or HP with an IPS/E-IPS/S-IPS panel. Granted these panels have a slower response time but I think its well worth the very noticeable jump in color accuracy and image quality.

I've been gaming (FPS/MMO/RTS) exclusively on a pair of 24" IPS panel LCD's for 2 years now and I don't regret a single second of that decision. The moaning and groaning of "gamers" who claim that the response is too long usually generally can't even afford these types of monitors, but instead rely on passing on information from *some random* review site. It's sad.

With the Dell 3008WFP or HP LP3065 you have a bit of a trade-off in gaming performance but you have an IPS panel which in my opinion, is far more important.

4. Kyocera

Jasio, kindly note:
    a 30" monitor has nothing in common with a 24".

5. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

how about an Eizo monitor?

6. tin can

tin can What's a Dremel?

No advice, but...

I like your prioritising! :thumb:

7. Kyocera

You should make a diet (and eat less) :D especially in public; it's just not becoming.

8. tin can

tin can What's a Dremel?

9. Kyocera

You Avatar!! man ;)

10. tin can

tin can What's a Dremel?

uh, thanks...

:)

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

NEC 3090WUXi.
    Samsung's 30" PVA.
    Dell 3007WFP...

Those are the only ones I can think of that are worth buying.

Aim for the NEC3090WUXi..it's AWESOME!!.

12. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

You're one a very bright one are you?

13. Kyocera

I would never try to brighten you up.
    Plainly impossible :D
    :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

14. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

just so you know, buying a color accurate monitor wont get you crap in a can as far as noticable color improvement - yes they are high quality displays, but a pro photo monitor is good for color accuracy when looking at an image from a calibrated scanner or camera on a calibrated screen ;)

that is to say its great at reproducing the real life image that you see accurately but its a very small difference in actual perceived "color improvement" TN's are actually quite good at showing vibrant color.

that's coming from an owner of 2 x NEC 2690 WUXi's in the photo studio ;)

15. willis01

willis01 What's a Dremel?

Im thinking of starting a new build to replace the one I did about 5 years ago, and am looking for a similar monitor. How do modern LCD tvs perform with gaming? im looking at probably getting a 32 or 37 inch. They are so much cheaper than equivalent sized dells etc.

16. Kyocera

You can only game with a plasma/ LCD TV.
    :)

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

LIES!!

If only because I run 1 S_IPS and 1 IPS 19" NEC monitors.