1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Antec Sonata vs P183

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doobystew, 28 Sep 2009.

1. doobystew

doobystew What's a Dremel?

I currently have a fairly old computer with an Antec Sonata (mk1) case.

I plan to get a new computer with an i7 and radeon 5870 and, of course, a new PSU.

Would the Antec Sonata be ample for this computer or would a better case like the P183 be needed?

If not, what real advantages would there be to getting it?

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

The p183 I hate to say is an ugly slice of ugly cake - the p182 is much nicer, but thermal performance is a little behind the pack. Although, it must be said, that was never the point with the p182. TBH the sonata should handle things fine if the graphics card actually fits in there, your temps might be a bit on the high side so OC won't be great.

3. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Looks like a tight squeeze to fit a 5870 into that case.

4. doobystew

doobystew What's a Dremel?

Alright cheers for the replies.

I was interested to see the new 5850 is about an inch smaller than the 5870. I wonder if that would make a difference.

EDIT: Apparently (found on a forum) the 5870 is 27cm with the 5850 being 24cm.

I got the measuring tape out and the 5870 is just too big to fit in there. Maybe scrape it in if lucky but even then there would be no room for airflow.

The 5850 would be a couple of inches away from the hard drive bay and the power connector is on that side so would also be a scrape.

Think it's time for a bigger case.

Last edited: 30 Sep 2009