1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Dye Bomb?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Editor22, 2 Oct 2009.

1. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I have a fairly simple and basic question that hopefully someone can answer for me :)

My current build is getting to the stage where I'm beginning to think about plumbing, I have the fluid and the dye bomb and want to mix them together to match up the colour with the plexi only thing is that I wont be filling the loop for a few weeks.

So the question is... "Will the fluid be fine to store once the dye has been added?"

Thanks to anyone who can help :)

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Should be fine as long as it's in a sealed container.

3. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

awesome, thanks for clearing that up dude... cant wait to play tomorrow now :dremel:

4. W34513

W34513 What's a Dremel?

might i inquire as to which brand of coolant and dye bomb?

5. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Sure can.. here is the link to the stuff I received the other day

Click

6. W34513

W34513 What's a Dremel?

i used pc ice in my first loop and it majorly gunked up my loop.

the dye bomb tends to not stay mixed and will seperate over time. i used the uv green myself, and my cpu block came away super green. after time the mixture in the bottle will seperate too. i had to shake it to get the uv dye back into the coolant, otherwise it sank to the bottom of the bottle in a mat.

it will definitely do the trick and keep the pc cool, but i personally wouldn't use it again.

7. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks for the advice mate, Its just sitting in the garage/shop all mixed at the moment so if it does start to seperate I'll probably go on and order some feser UV blue stuff.

8. W34513

W34513 What's a Dremel?

no problem, i just switched out my loop and changed over to feser red myself. i think i have the old pc ice sitting around somewhere... i'll see if i can get some pics up tomorrow if i do have it...

i just moved a few weeks ago, so i'm still sorting everything out. lol!

edit: i just found it. lol! i'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

9. W34513

W34513 What's a Dremel?

So here's a pic of my CPU block before i cleaned it all up.
    [​IMG]

The green gunk is not algea, its the UV reactants. I have the bottle of PC Ice, but my camera wont capture the film on the bottom.

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I currently have about 6 dye bombs in my current main rig spread amongst two loops.... I have never had a problem with the dye bombs themselves. Now, PC Ice? That's a different story. Yuckie stuff.

11. W34513

W34513 What's a Dremel?

was never sure if it was the PC ICE or the dye bomb. i just figured it was the dye bomb since that seemed the most likely to seperate. no problems with feser so far...

12. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks again for your help guys.. think its time to head your warnings and order some feser : / maybe use that pc ice for some other project along the way.

Anyone know of a good UK stockist for feser UV blue?

13. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

I got mine from Scan and Watercoolinguk, but I think that most water cooling stockists sell the Feser cooling fluid

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

IMHO all colourant's are bad for the loop, if you want colour get some coloured tubing.

15. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

That was the first idea but it just wasn't giving the look that I wanted : /
    not afraid to admit I'm pretty new to liquid cooling but surely the dyes cant be that hazardous to the loop?

Thanks again for the help guys really didn't expect to get so much input off a simple question :thumb:

16. W34513

W34513 What's a Dremel?

I think purists will always say to just use purified water and colored tubing. Personally i like the look of the clear tubing with colored coolant.

If you're going for performance and are trying to get every last drop of cooling out of the loop, the purified water will work best. Dye's do slightly gum things up and its all part of the normal maintenance of a WC loop.

Its all preference really. I'm already preferential to the Feser brand over PC Ice, but that's really all it is, preference.