1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What's the best supersize case fan?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Oct 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I had to get the antec big boy to replace the fan on my cosmos s and apart from using a molex connector (the original 200mm fan used a little 3 pin connector so the motherboard could control fan speed) this has been a good replacement fan.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

On page three... the picture discription states both fans to be on the left...

This is an intersting article and the data revealed quite surprising. That such large fans move little more than standard 120mm fans and quiet noise levels. I'm quite glad that when I modded my side panel (blue perspex) I used a standard Sharkoon blowing directly over my GPU cooler, which resulted in a 10c drop in my GPU temps while being virtually discreet.

Last edited: 9 Oct 2009
  4. IccleD

IccleD What's a Dremel?

I would love to have seen you include one of these in your review...
    Performance PCs Monster 360mm Fan.
    That fan is surely for those PC modders that have small... overclocks!

Very informative review yet again. I may have missed it though, but what size was your sack? Just wondering if the bigger sacks, which would take longer to fill, would be more accurate than a smaller one?

Last edited: 9 Oct 2009
  5. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

So basically there are no good large case fans? That's unfortunate as the build I'm planning now has a few very large fans.

6. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

it's the law of diminishing returns ...

looks like 120 -140mm is the sweet spot, until there is a radical advancement in technology. that's fine with me, 3x 120mm exhausts and 2x120mm intakes is fine.

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I'd like to see how multiple smaller fans compare to supersize ones where cases have the option for it (i.e. 2x140mm or 4x120mm).

8. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

The number of tested fans is too low to give any valid conclusion;
    the site here recommends ATCS 840, which has one front 230 x 30 mm fan x 1 / 700 RPM / 19 dBA ; one does not know if to change it, with which one.....

The piece on the classic dimensioned fans was great, this here is just to no avail.

9. SchizoFrog

That would be a totally unfair comparison with 280x140mm2 (39200mm2) compared to 240x240mm2 (57600mm2) which would have a 46% area increase.

(Not exactly true as really you would have to work out the circumfrance area of each individual fan and then time that by 2 or 4 depending on which set up you are looking at... but you get the idea.)

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

It may be an unfair comparison, but it would still be an interesting one if your case has the option of one 200mm or multiple 120mm mounts (though the latter would be considerably more expensive), as I don't think it would work to just extrapolate from the single-fan CFM and dBA results.

11. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

yeah, as a HAF 932 owner i'd have liked to have seen the coolermaster 230mm fans on the list too. Tho 3 of them in my case do actually create a breeze around my computer area so i dont think i need an upgrade :)

12. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Good info. Too bad about the low static pressures. Looks like some of these fans are mostly for show.:sigh:

Yay Antec! :thumb:

13. i7lova

i7lova What's a Dremel?

Anyone know what brand of fans the Xclio wind tunnel uses? That's the case I ahve and they seem to move a decent amount of air with not a whole lot of noise and also have speed controls built in.

14. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Bit Tech continues to use the Ghetto fan testing methodology, Until they actually get some real test equipment, and a tester who has some clue as to use it, any further "fan tests" are invalid.

15. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

More to the point: this is like doing CPU heat sink tests using your finger tip as the thermometer.

16. drakanious

drakanious What's a Dremel?

NO, NO, NO!

This testing methodology is just plain stupid.

17. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

If i rember correctly (custom pc did a big article with the fans a couple months back) i think they use the black sack method because there is no proper test equipment available, and even the fan manafacturers just make up the cfm and db ratings that they provide

18. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Way to be very negative there, Otto. The theory is sound. You have a container of a known volume, and a fan to inflate that container full of air. As long as there are no major leaks in the cardboard fan shroud, the diaphragm between the cardboard and the plastic bag, or in the bag itself...

19. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

As I said in the thread for the last fan "test" using this method; at the very least the fans pressure has to overcome the weight of most of the bag, and of the captive air pushing back against the incoming pressurized air. NEITHER of those things should be present in an actual computer case.

20. SchizoFrog

Why not? Does the air inside your case not push back like the rest of ours?
    Instead of just complaining like little girls, why not tell us how to do it better? Oh thats right... YOU DON'T KNOW!!! So STFU!!!

Tags: Add Tags