1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour: 32nm Xeon a timed Apple exclusive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Oct 2009.

1. dslickness

dslickness What's a Dremel?

You need to read my post, the "3GBs of Ram" was not about Photoshop, it was talking about After Effects. And what you are doing with photography can be considered parallel to the "Print World" since you are using super high resolution raw files. I don't doubt you are using that much storage and ram.

But I guess CS4 recently added all 64-bit, which is great!

2. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

I'm not using Raw files they are 3mb Jpegs on average. These are images for reference only. I have shot in RAW but that is more in analysis of construction faults and repair reports. I mentioned 3gb of ram pertaining to the rough limit for 32bit, so my comment was valid.

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Technically not. Lots of companies have exclusivity deals for a period of time. In the UK the iPhone was only available on one network until last month. GE have exclusivity on the Boeing777LR. Singapore Airline had six month exclusivity on the Airbus A380.
    This sort of deal happens legally all the time.

4. chumbucket843

chumbucket843 What's a Dremel?

i completely agree. how is it fair to allow only apple to have the chip? what about other OSes. i hope apple gets sued again. they will probably use this as a lame excuse to say their computers are faster and better.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

It's not anti-competitive. It's normal business.

You get what you pay for and exclusive deals are perfectly normal. The anti-competitiveness law suit came up because Intel blackmailed companies to use their chips or otherwise they'd have to pay a lot more while their competitors would still get the cheaper chips thus being able to sell more for less. Nobody blackmailed Intel into signing an exclusive contract with Apple, Stevie just offered a boat load of money and got a limited-time exclusive product.

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

They'd never do that, would they?

Macs have such a tiny market share...

Apple must have a huge amount of cash to throw about in order to afford a deal like that. A deal which probably won't do them a huge deal of good since as far as I'm aware, Windows/Unix/Linux is better for most Server/Workstation applications.

7. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

It's a deal between two companies. No one is being bribed or blackmailed, no one is being forced at gun point. Unlike some of the previous anti-competitive lawsuits, this doesn't involve one company saying you can have our chip on condition you don't stock the competitors.

Don't be too sad, I'm sure it's only a very brief thing, say a few months maybe. And besides, Apple will have paid a premium on these chips to entice Intel into the deal, so that means Apple will have to pass that cost on to the consumer ... and then you can complain about Apples pricing policies as well. That way its a win-win situation for you! Cool.

8. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Just think of it as an Apple beta test. Nice shiny new stepping when it gets released to retail.

9. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

Wasted on apple, but will be too pricey over a descent quad core, I am still getting good results with my q6600.

10. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

well apple will really need a lead on selling them with their prices,lol, wont be surprised if by the time others start selling it apple sales will still be out sold

11. gurusan

gurusan What's a Dremel?

screw apple. never given them my money and never will.

12. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

how common is 10gig e on systems at the moment? to me that seems like the biggest leap being made.... i mean dual gig e is about the most you see on mobos right now. its surely going to increase costs a lot, be fun to see just how much this thing will cost.

in the nehalem update they did manage to get a slightly more balanced system than their last iteration.... which was two quad core xeons but only 2GB of ram at stock. even now, you only get a 320GB hard drive for your £2k.... it will be interesting to see what they include with your 12 or 24 core system.

13. gurusan

gurusan What's a Dremel?

well there are loads of i7 systems with 12gb ram......

14. Matticus

Matticus ...

I can't believe a few comments are saying "who needs x amount of cores/power and ram". I bet you used to say "1ghz and 512mb of ram, are you insane!?!?!?"

Apple getting this first doesn't really make any difference, mac pros are in a market of their own anyway. People who buy a very powerful mac are buying it to run mac only software. Its not like they are thinking whether they should get a super powerful PC workstation or a mac pro, their industry has already made up their mind.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

you are all a bit mad those saying game on 12 cores ect

first of all you dont game on a xeon cpu they are used for servers.

plenty of programs can use up to unlimted ram. Just cause games cant go above a set point doesnt mean the rest of the world is so inclined to do so. Alot of custom goverment apps. Apple doesnt sell the servers with osx even built on last i checked. As you can build the entire server from ground up how you desire.

16. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Hmm you may also be forgetting that most likely initial yields will be low.. this way Intel can spend a few months optimising the processes without having shortage issues. Since Apple will probably not be buying more chips than Intel can easily make. That way Intel can build up stocks and get yields up, while getting paid by Apple and at the same time can tell their shareholders that they have produced the chips "on-time" and are keeping up with demand.

17. fodder

fodder Minimodder

3MB Jpegs can be HUGE, they are compressed remember. In print you can be manipulating many layers within PS and not only the file size but, as you have noted earlier, the space for calculating tasks goes through the roof. Raw and Jpeg of the same image will contain the same amount of pixels, it's just the grey levels per channel that differ. Merging a panorama from many images is also something done quite a lot in print. As is extending and image that the designer wants a bit more on.

With the way printers spend money on pre-press though, I can't see many laying out the cash Apple would want for one of these machines, especially the extortionate amount they charge for RAM. IE when I got my Macbook Pro, the ram upgrade (2 up to 4gb) cost £750. So, 1gb = £325, which means if you go for the full 128gb you may pay £41,600 for the upgrade. Nice. More than a full fat workflow system.

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Hey, maybe Apple will change and make these new systems affordable?

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

...sorry, couldn't help it.

19. dec

dec [blank space]

128GB of RAM.....give it a few years and systems wont ship with at least that much. 16 million terabytes is still a long way off.

Tags: Add Tags