1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Win a Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X card!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 23 Sep 2009.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow someones greedy... ~_~

When I upgrade my rig, I give my previous hardware to my brother, he then gives his previous rig to our parents and then their old rig gets donated to goodwill or someone less fortunate but hey I guess I was raised to be a bit more caring/considerate.

2. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Nothing wrong with handing down stuff in a family, but to expect it from members of a massive online community is stretching the concept a little too far. If I want to help someone out who is less fortunate than me, I would donate to charities. I wouldn't consider someone who doesn't have the latest graphics card to be someone who is in dire straits, and I really wouldn't be concerned by their dilemma. Nice idea, but never going to be something that most people will adopt imo. If you want to feel good about yourself, why not do some voluntary work for a charity or something? There are much better things to be concerned about than a gamer not having their ideal GPU.

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I do work with volunteer groups, primarily animal related but I do work with human based variants from time to time.

4. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I wasn't trying to imply that you don't do things for charity causes or anything like that. I was just trying to point out that there are real problems that people should be worried about before spending any effort on raising the FPS for some semi-anonymous gamer.

5. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Well hasnt this turned into a dodgy insulting frenzy! Come on chaps, chill out and may the best man (in this case luckiest) win!

Andy

6. bucifer

bucifer Brain Feeder

Well charity or not imagine the world if anyone would do this kind of stuff once in a while.
    I know many people that throw old hardware like garbage. I've seen some good 19" CRT thrown from a company , literally smashed to bits. I bet some of those were good, maybe blurry but usable by someone that doesn't have any.
    On the other side of the coin there are people who would want to make a profit out of anything any piece of obsolete technology. Selling a Riva TNT2 or S3 Savage4 for whatever cost is ridiculous greedy mofos! Why not simply give it away to someone that can use it to surf the internet or do some basic office stuff with it.

This has gone a bit offtopic but the point is to try not to be selfish or disconsiderate towards others. I agree that there are more important things than a games without an ideal gpu but you can start somewhere. It's the little things that make up the big picture.

Cheers mates!

7. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

If someone has paid money for something and then later has no use for it, why shouldnt they sell it on? I quite often give things away to people but I would object to being called a 'Greedy Mofo' if I wanted to sell something which i also do on a regular basis.

8. Arnaud31

Arnaud31 Bit Tech Noob

If the winner get an old card like a 48XX, he could send me it !!!:D And if im the winner i will give my old 7950 gt , i promise :thumb:

Shame on me ....:duh:

9. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

While I am all for the recycling of PC components, I would be much happier giving old parts away in the knowledge that they were going to people who couldn't afford a PC or the components to build one. I wouldn't be happy passing on parts to people who already have a PC but aren't happy with their GPU. If they want to upgrade to a gaming rig or update an existing one, then they need to save up or manage their money (or get lucky in a compo). Gaming isn't a neccessity, but basic PC ownership has pretty much become one nowadays.

As for selling on parts, how is trying to recoup some of our hard earned cash being greedy? Would you give away your old car because you were getting a new one? Same logic applies here. It's also worth remembering that alot of PC enthusiasts sell on their old hardware to fund purchases of new hardware.

Last edited: 21 Oct 2009
  10. antec_ati

antec_ati What's a Dremel?

indeed i agree :hip:

11. antec_ati

i agree here aswell with stuart :cooldude:

12. bucifer

bucifer Brain Feeder

I obviously misread my post there, let me quote:
    I'm not saying trying to sell your 4870 to get a 5870 is bad.
    It's bad when you are trying to milk a 10 year old card for whatever the price when you could just give it away to someone that might need it.

I see some of you have taken the matter too personally! It is not the case, I am just expressing my point of view. Stop being so sensitive!

PS: I think penguins might have kidnapped the Vapor-X card and use it as an Igloo.

13. antec_ati

let the luckiest win just hoping for a decent upgrade, peace Antec_Ati

14. antec_ati

could be wonderful for a nice mod :p

15. antec_ati

been thinking of making a nice one for a long time but nu hardware no game :s

16. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

If someone NEEDS a ten year old card then they should still pay for it, if they cant afford it then they should get off their arses and get a job, or if they have a job they should manage the money a bit better. We are not charities here.

17. antec_ati

some of you maybe don't care but others do

18. antec_ati

i want to know the winner already bit-tech please announce :p

19. rajivsci

rajivsci Student/programmer

yes bit-tech announce the winner, These unstopable debaters r having a fight over thing they won't get. hehehehhee :))

GREAT GOING GUYS IT was fun reading your comments. hehee.

20. Steakki

Steakki What's a Dremel?

Well, people don't like it if someone with already good graphic card wins it... If there really is need for upgrade that badly, buy used card or new card.. That's what I do when I need something.. And yes, I work my butt off each time I need to buy something expensive.

Tags: Add Tags