1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other System Freezes when trying to play TF2...HELP!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by NoMod, 24 Oct 2009.

1. NoMod

NoMod What's a Dremel?

Ok, so I own the orange box, but haven't had TF2 installed for ages, last I did was just before they added the class stuff in. It worked fine then.

I have been having problems with my machine (Abit IP35pro, Q6600 o'clocked @ 3.0ghz, 4gb Gskill RAM @ 1000mhz, 2x 500gb samsung spimpoints in RAID 0, Nvidia 8800GTS 512 factory O'clocked) freezing up, it just randomly locks up, could be in a game, I-explorer, just booted or been on for hours, random. No activity, can't use the keyboard or mouse and the HDD's stop working forcing me to re-boot.

I got it to boot in safe mode without it freezing up, leading me to believe it was a software or driver issue. I used AVG and malewarebytes to do full scans and only found a few tarcker cookies and adware, nothing too much to worry about so I clean it all out. I run a memory test to make sure it is not the RAM, no problems. I run a HDD test, no problems. Then I set up a selective re-boot and try to isolate a process service or driver that could have been causing it. After hours and hours I couldn't isolate the problem and said f**k it, I'll just wipe the system and do a fresh install.

So I do a clean install this time with the drives in RAID 1 (so I can use verfication), clean install of vista 64 bit, all the important updates and both service packs. Latest drivers for everything I ditched AVG this time and am using MS secuity essentials and ad-aware anti-spyware. Lovely, no problems installed COD4 & 5 and patched them up fine, no more freezes until...

I install orange box/steam. I click to install all the games (HL2, Portal & TF2), does this fine from disk then downloads all updates ok. Launched TF2 from Steam, set graphics settings etc then click 'join server' and the list pops up - within 2/3 seconds I get the same freeze! No HDD activity, can't use mouse or anything, no BSOD. Re-boot, let the RAID controller verify and repair the array, fins a few minor errors and fixes them. Try again, it freezes in the same place!

Ok, I think, maybe the dowonload was corrupted - so I completely uninstall Steam and the OB games. Ignoring the disk this time I download a fresh version of Steam, install then download TF2. Same problem.

Is there some bug I don't know about in the server browser for TF2? (I don't think my firewall is stopping it) Is this just a symptom of my HDDs on the way out? (I will run a full disk diagnostic later today), is it Vista? Is it a Driver issue? I tried the system without the overclock too and still no differrence, it was fairly mild anyway (all done in the BIOS) the RAM is within it's manufactureres rating @1000mhz 2.1V, and the chip is 25% o'clocked from 2.4ghz to 3.0ghz using a FSB of 333 (the board can hanle 400 without blinking), 0.05 overvolt to the vcore & even under full load my CPU never gets hoter than 55degrees, antec 900 Cheesecake.

I am at a loss... :worried:

ps - I realised it could be something to do with my networking, I have a belkin wireless card through a belkin router connected to a cable modem - could It be something attacking/corrupted in my network drivers? It does seem strange that it's always opening the browser list that triggers the freeze, although I have no problems with IE or steam or the COD games connecting...wierd.

2. NoMod

NoMod What's a Dremel?

For those who rushed to my aid, I thank you for your comments and commitment to helping me solve this problem. Your dedication serves to honour this community. I only hope one day to return the moral and technical support offered to me in my time of need. I thank you all, from the bottom of my heart. I am truly touched by your grace and charity.

*cough*

As it turned out, the problem was the wireless card, I uninstalled the drivers, removed the card and haven't had a lockup since...