1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Own an Intel SSD? Tell how worn out it is!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Oct 2009.

1. ConservativeOC

ConservativeOC What's a Dremel?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

My point was that it's irrelevant because heat does not affect them though. The ICs will run up to 85C or more. Your case could be an oven and it would still be happy :)

3. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

BTW, i would now suggest using the intel toolbox rather than crystalmark info.

Mainly because as well as the wear level you also get info on the total amount that has been written on the drive.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2py3yfp.png

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The intelligent wear algorithms extend the life of the drive, but in an ideal situation do they also prolong the performance of the drive?

That's something I've never been too sure on..
    A drive that lasts 10 years because of those algorithms but which loses a chunk of its performance by the 2- or 3-year mark and runs like a dog at the 5- or 6- year mark isn't so appealing - Can anyone confirm if that's the case or not?

Many of us replace drives more often than that, but it's still a consideration for someone who has yet to take the plunge with SSDs.
    A speedy 64GB SSD used just as a boot drive for a bunch of OS partitions isn't going to get replaced quite as soon as a storage drive, for instance, since most OS installations don't inflate anywhere as fast as the data we store and collect elsewhere.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You'll notice the capacity drop off after a while, rather than performance loss because it will rewrite the bad block data into another working block and mark it as bad in the firmware.

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Ahh, thanks Bindi!

I can't decide if that's better or worse than what I surmised before.. Depends on the usage, I guess.

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

So um, er. Are the -only- type worth buying now the outrageously expensive Intel ones?

Will -all- the others just get slower and slower and eventually become unusable and unfixable?

Argh.

8. kimandsally

kimandsally What's a Dremel?

How did you manage to get 2 Western digital SATA drives 9-10 years ago when they only came out in 2003??

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

My memory is terrible, I could have sworn I built the system with those in when I was in Uni. Just checked my old emails - the first 120gb was bought from Scan in Sept 2003, the 2nd and 3rd in 2005. I'm sure the IDE drives are 10 years old (give or take).

Tags: Add Tags