1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Can video card damage LCD monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doobystew, 28 Oct 2009.

1. doobystew

doobystew What's a Dremel?

After having a monitor problem (detailed here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2126251#post2126251) then the same problem reoccur after a few days in the replacement they sent out, I am dying to find the cause of this.

Is there any way a video card can damage an LCD monitor it is connected to? Note that the damage didn't cause the monitor to stop functioning but caused an image problem.

I have searched as much as I can without finding much conclusive information.

I have always worried that my card, a Radeon 9600 Pro, is too hot for the passive cooling solution it came with.

Has it ever been known for an overheating video card to somehow output a signal that would cause a monitor to develop a heat-related problem over time?

2. trig

trig god's little mistake

not that i could imagine. i read your other thread. knowing dell and having seen them do this, i'd bet you a pretty penny that they just "fixed" your old unit and sent it back to you.

3. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

One of the reasons people love Dell; they are bent on fixing issues....

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

lolz...love em

5. doobystew

Actually they sent a replacement to swap with my old monitor in real-time so it can't possibly have been the same monitor as I had both in my hand at one time.

6. Kyocera

I can hardly imagine that a second monitor would give up in such a short time because of the graphic card.

7. McLovin9091

McLovin9091 I Have used a Dremel

IIRC, when you get a replacement of any sort aren't the company in question legally obliged to give 6 months warranty.

I know that when my old laptop was playing up (CD drive consistently stopped working after 3 months after being fixed) i had 6 months if the problem showed up again, which it did for over a year and a half until they decided just to give me a new one.

8. doobystew

McLovin, not sure about the laws but Dell have insisted they'll replace it again.

I was just eager to know if my graphics card is causing it since 2 separate monitors developed the same fault when connected to it. Wouldn't be much point replacing it for the new one to go the same way.

Kyocera - aye, I never imagined it either and nor can I find much about it on Google... maybe I'll get another replacement then see if the third one has the fault it'll further reduce the likelihood that it's a coincidence.

9. Kyocera

To damage the monitor in such a manner in such a short time, the image would have to be unwatchable; at least.
    A GPU is just providing signal; even if a "bad girl" GPU would advice in the signal to overpower a certain area, a monitor with a circuit that enables such a thing belongs on a garbage heap.

10. doobystew

To throw a bit of speculative wood on the fire, a few thoughts I have:

Could it be anything at all to do with the monitor being used as a USB hub?

Is it possible that the "kettle lead" power supply is causing this? I'm not sure it's the original one from the box but I thought they were completely universal anyway.

What about the DVI cable? Is there anything about a bad cable that could cause this?

Again, I presumed what Kyocera has said but would really hope to avoid a third monitor going the same way.

It's a Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP and I have a friend who has had an identical model for the same time as me without such issues.

11. Kyocera

+the monitor has an external power supply???

12. doobystew

No, the only power connector is a standard kettle lead going into the monitor but it has a USB hub.

13. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Kettle leads aren't exactly universal. I mean they are, but theres the fuse inside them.

So if your using a high current fuse, and your getting power spikes or something thats causing problems to the monitor. With the higher rated fuse, it may not blow and protect the monitor.

I may be talking garbage, but its something worth checking.

14. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

This is (legally) absolutely not the case. This would mean that if you had a 1 year warranty on a product, and it failed 1 day before the warranty ran out, you would then receive an extension on that warranty, which is not the case.

15. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

AFAIK the 6 month thing is a gesture of goodwill, some places give you 3 months instead, and then some give you nothing.

16. doobystew

In the case of Dell (at least, for their Ultra Sharp range) they replaced my monitor even though I was already 1 day over the warranty. This replacement they also will replace, no quibble, for 90 days from the day you receive it.