1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP / Vita Just got me a PSP

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mansueto, 20 Nov 2009.

1. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

So i was lucky enough to come across a psp from a friend of mine for dirt cheap, its in excellent condition and with the holidays coming up I'm looking to add some psp games to my list. I've already got little big planet down, anything final fantasy, burnout legends and god of war, but those are the only big titles I know about.

Any games you can recommend, I can do the research, just gimme a title and genre... I'm not too picky. Lemme know what games you've enjoyed so that I too can enjoy them!

Thanks,
    Matt

2. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Burnout's a great game. I've got the first two GTA titles (I dunno if Chinatown Wars is out yet) and Vice City Stories is the better of the two, excellent game.

Also, get Echochrome. It will melt your brain.

3. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Get on the sony network and download some demos. There are quite a few and it gives you a taste of some of the current games.

I also bought the cable so you can hook it up to your TV. I find my eyes recessing into my brain if I play to long with that small screen. lol :D

4. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Chinatown wars is out...
    The Ridge Racer games are good fun too.
    Gran Turismo...
    Rachet & Clank
    Killzone Liberation is ok, I couldn't get into it but it's not bad.

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Gran Tourism and Family Guy are games I play the most at the moment

Mines enabled for emulators too so it's great having all your favorite old skool games on a 8gb memory stick!!

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I must stress that this shouldn't be used for illegal means, but flashing your PSP is awesome. That way you can rip your games onto memory stick and increase battery life massively (think 8+hours of gameplay easily).

Not only that but if you own any old PSX games you can do the same for them too. They're going seriously cheap on ebay now too, which is a real bonus.

For a memory card I recommend hunting down an MS Pro-Duo to microSD converter - an 8GB microSD is much cheaper than an 8GB MS Pro-Duo. :D

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes I use a CF5400 easy way to get 16/32Gb, seems to woRk fine in my non modded PSP, not tried but this breaks magic gate so don't know if it means some DRM'D stuff like the movie rental service won't work but games have certainly been fine, seems to add a bit of lag on xmb but other than that no issues so far.

In terms of games then in addition to whats been mentioned you have to try the following

Any of the Wipeout series
    Motorstorm (bit easy but good fun once you rank up.)
    Soul calibre or tekken 5 dr for some fighting
    Pixeljunk Monsters (great tower defense game)
    Any of the locorocos
    Fifa 10 is not a bad game of footie
    Metal geare portable ops
    Sega collection for some old school fun
    worms 2
    Ultimate ghost and goblins if you want a proper challenge, or to just tear your hair out and throw the psp across the room :)
    Metal slug anth

there are loads I could be typing all day.

Some of the Mini aren't bad either like pinball, suduko.

Looking forward to trying LBP though it has no MP which was what made the PS3 version, also want to get F1 2009.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2009
  8. Matticus

Matticus ...

Krikkit speaks much truth. Since I flashed mine I only ever play PS1 games, but the Psp GTAs were very very very very very good while on holiday, I think I would have been happy enough just sitting at home playing them instead. Vice city stories being the better of the two I played. I haven't played chinatown wars and I have no idea if its out yet.

As for PS1 games, if you don't get gran turismo 2 on there, I will come to your house and kill you. Theme hospital and resi2 are good fun.

And don't forgot a gb/gba emulator to play all those old Pokemon games.

9. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Yeah, I flashed mine for the thrill of overclocking to 3333Mhz :D

It's also the first time I was able to play my old PSX games (my PS2 will play them but that's not quite portable...)

10. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Oh, Metal Gear Solid is now on the PSN store in the UK for £8...excellent!

11. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Well I expected someone to mention flashing but I didn't expect a mod to mention it first lol!

Anyway he's probably got a PSP-3000 which (I haven't checked in a while) unflashable is it not? They should really sell PSP's flashed as standard imo, the benefits are huge, playing your games off your memory card which improves loading times and battery life, the sheer amount of quality homebrew programs you can run! The PSP is perfect for reading manga on and watching anime on (despite the crappy low volume) then you've got all your emulators to play your old games and PS1 games :thumb:

They would've sold tons more PSP's if they came pre flashed, they become a much more universal handheld media centre.

As for games I'd vote for Final Fantasy the anniversary edition if you never played the original, it's a full remake with new dungeons and redone graphics and it's an all round good game at the same time :D

If you never played the Star Ocean games then I would recommend picking up the first SO remake, I didn't play it much but if they stayed true to the japanese original on the SNES it's a FRICKING AWESOME RPG!:hehe:

The monster hunter games are fun too, especially when you combine that program for your PC that let's you fool your PSP into thinking you're playing locally when actually you're playing online, I think it's called XLink Kai or something. Enjoy your PSP anyway!

12. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

Got myself one of those a while ago. 16gb is plenty, when you realise that most games are under 800mb and some even under 200mb.

Got my psp back in 2005 and the only games i really enjoyed on it were ratchet and clank (always loved the games), loco-roco, daxter, star wars battlefront 2 and more recently, motorstorm.

What model is your psp? you can find it on the bottom where a barcode is: it should say PSP-1000 or something. what does yours say? If it is 1000, it is really easily flashed. As long as your firmware is under 5.50 (i think), you should be able to flash it.

13. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Bought used from a friend for 50 bucks with an 8gb card and it is "hacked" so to speak. It has a ps1 emulator and he showed me how to use it and I was able to rip MY legally owned ps1 games (i had a box sitting in my closet for YEARS) so I am currently starting ff7 over since I was never able to finish it due to my brother selling my ps1 memory card with my 45 hours of playing time of fricken disk 1!!! Also got grand tourismo, the one that was 2 or 3 disks on it, and i went and bought LBP. It is entertaining. Got some extra cash due to holidays coming up so been working a bit more often so i'll look into the games listed above to choose which will get my hard earned coin! I'll see what ps1 games I can get off friends to rip.

14. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Tekken 6 is out on psp. I want :D

15. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I converted my FF7 and FF9 Discs into relevant images. Its nice to play them again.
    Mercury was (imo) pretty fun for a puzzler though from disc the load times are quite horrible.

16. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Interesting, never seen those before. Do videos run alright on it? Will games bought from PSN work? I might have to pick one up with 2 x 16GB cards as my 4GB Duo is too small.

17. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

it's basically a mini raid array - it runs faster than a standard memorystick.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes, I'm not a dodgy pirate like it seems the majority of PSP owners are, legit content from PSN plays fine on it, I have not tested the video store content though, when you look at card status it say Magicgate status unknown, this may mean that some functionality is reduced but so far nothing I have noticed, I just play official PSP/PSN stuff, no music or video though.

I could probably test out vids later this week assuming once I watch a download off of the video store I can stll move to PSP, VIDEOSTORE vids in SD are a couple of gb so you'd fill a memory stick quite quickly if you wanted to take some away with you.

My own encodes have run fine on it. I use 2x 8gbs on it, even factoring in the cost of the adaptor its still cheaper than a memorystick, mymemory was doing class4 16gb microSD cards for 21quid the other month, sold out by the time I got there though :(

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i only use mine for 3 games

Soulblade
    FF7
    Xenogears

oh and some classic sega emulation \o/

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I thought I'd get in there first - there's so much that you can do which doesn't involve stealing games, I'd rather look on flashing as liberating your psp into the awesome machine it can be. :D