1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve doesn't care about Steamworks boycotts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Nov 2009.

1. Bad Horse TBoS

Bad Horse TBoS Put the Dremel where?

Steam is great...unless you are deployed to Afghanistan and have a 2k internet connection that routinely go's out for weeks at a time.
    Between Steam required installs and authentication server required LAN games the industry is really taking away one of the few enjoyable activities we have over here.
    Here is a link about my epic struggle to play Empire: Total War

http://www.halfassdprojects.com/?p=242&page=2

2. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Looove Steam... Waiting on the Christmas games sales :D all cheap, i bought Bioshock for 5€ last year and Stalker too for another 5€... Keep them coming Steam :D

3. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I love steam and think it's great. That said, I can't blame other digital distributors for not selling games that install and require the software of their competition. I also don't appreciate $60 price tags on a digitally distributed game.

4. Orothe

Orothe What's a Dremel?

+1

=) Apparently the one-day offers and the weekend specials are driving customers away by their insane prices? >.>

5. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

Steam i love but it has a nasty habit of restarting paused downloads at times for no apparent reason? maybe mines goosed

6. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

i dont like the fact that you have to do a steam installlation becasue i dont play online often (becasue i can't bt limit your internet to 100gb a month on there unlimited package)

and i dont want steam on my pc i allready have too many programs on there that i need

7. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

I've said time and time again, valve and steam need to be split into independent companies. If they won't do it of their own volition, they'll be forced to by anti-competitive lawsuits once they become high profile enough over the next 10 years.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

shanky, i use bt and play online, with no problems, if your using 100GB a month you must be downloading large amounts of data, not playing games (torrentor by any chance)

steam works very well, keeps things updated, and makes things work, that maybe otherwise wouldn't, oh and can you imagine installing all those games back on your system from discs, when you get a new computer? few clicks on steam and a few hours later all your games back

9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

MW2 game it self is good but playing hardcore mode can be hard on Xbox PC P2P setup they have got even my friend who only plays Hardcore mode on COD4, finds quite hard due to the lag as its an 50/50 chance that your shots get the kill lag first before the other gets you (unless its the host then he likely win as he has no ping Gears of war has this issue a lot most Xbox owners know of this), you shot and there is up to an 1 sec delay before the hits happen (dieing behind walls)

other problem is as well every one just camps on hardcore mode as well if not most of the time (on cod4 i can norm see things from quite far away but on MW2 some times just do not see them when they are not moving)

due to the above and the player limits we norm play ground wars as that mode is not hardcore and has the most players, most of us are waiting for dedicated servers to come then the game can be played the way it should be in hardcore mode

10. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Steam is expensive but it's well worth the extra for having all your games on tap andfor having them updated/patched automatically. You have to buy at the right time if/when something is on weekend special I suppose. The only time I pay full whack on there is when something really shiney comes out lik MW2, or when an indy game comes out that I've been watching for some time.

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Developers set prices, not Valve.

Funny how you use "their" correctly in one place but not the other :p

12. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

yes, we'll just have to come to terms with the fact that nobody these days knows their there from they're elbow.

BTW for the next 12 hours: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic = £1.74

13. DarkLord7854

I'm very tempted by that.. trying to justify it when I have the boxed set sitting next to me.. it is only 2.50 after all... dohhh :worried:

14. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

my only real concern is what protection does the user get against steam going bust?

15. DarkLord7854

Considering Valve have been in business since 1996 and have only expanded and gotten bigger and bigger, and now cash in on all games sold on Steam.. I find that extremely unlikely to happen.

Tags: Add Tags