1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics [IGNORE]Please connect power cable problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Aracos, 3 Dec 2009.

1. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Hi I got a Gecube X1950XT (AGP) from the BT marketplace but I'm having some trouble with it posting. I got some Pentium 4 stuff as an upgrade to my current setup which will be used as a sims 3 box for my sister when my loan comes through and I can buy my i5 rig. So I took out all my crap and replaced it with an Asus P5P800 mobo and a Pentium 4 530 3GHz with 1GB RAM. I plugged all the cables in etc using the manual as a guideline in case I missed anything by eye then plugged all my DVD drives and HDD's back in and placed the GPU in the AGP slot and connected the 6-pin PCI-E cable from my power supply to the card. I switched the machine on and everything started spinning up then I was met with blinking red text on my monitor saying something like "Please connect the power cable to your video card"

I cannot work out WHY I am getting this agro from the card, I made sure it was plugged in to the point where you can't even see where the cable ends and connector begins! It's securely connected to my power supply through it's modular connection and doesn't move, I tested my other modular 6+2 pin cable and that didn't work. I tried it on a different modular slot and that never worked. Taking out the GPU and replacing it with my faithful TNT2 Pro (PCI) results in perfect post and full functionality cause I've been using the system all day without problems. The BIOS is set to AGP as primary and every power connector on the board is plugged in and working.

Could it be that my PSU's PCI-E cables don't work? Could it be motherboard incompatibility? Anyone got advice or be able to help me? I would really like to get this card to work :(

Last edited: 24 Dec 2009
  2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Can you try it with a different mobo?

Sounds very odd that it wouldn't work properly, a connection like that is pretty foolproof.

3. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

My other mobo is currently in bits with no case to go in, what kind of surface should I use for an open setup to test it? Do I need a special mat/sheet of metal to place it on? |I have a wooden desk.....lol

4. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Just stick it on the desk, last time I checked wood wasn't very conductive ;)

This was my card, which ran perfectly for years in my gigabyte socket 939 board.

I sold it to burnout21 and it didn't work, so I took it back and plugged it into my old aopen socket a board and it worked fine. So then I sold it to storm20200 and the curse has returned!

You need to rule out problems everywhere else. Plug up a good working PSU to the bare motherboard with one stick of known good ram, cpu, cooler (important! lol) and the graphics card. A monitor helps too.. heh. Then turn it on (short the 'POWER' jumper on the motherboard with a screwdriver). Hopefully it'll do it's beeps and offer you the bios.

PS I hope you have put your cooler on the card nice and securely. DON'T forget to plug that fan in before trying any tests, it's a hot card and doesn't like not having a cooling breeze over it (who does?)

5. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Hm as I recall you checked compatibility for YOUR motherboard with this card, but we didn't check for the ASUS (and I never tried them together).

Also, check the bios version when you boot it up (with your old PCI card if necessary) and see if there is an update available http://support.asus.com/download/download_item.aspx?product=1&model=P5P800
    The newest is P5P800 Release BIOS 1401

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Done, didn't work.
    The cooler doesn't even budge and it's perfectly flat on the card, the cooler is currently passive untill I get a 120mm fan but I made sure my 23CM case fan is blowing DIRECTLY on it (facing upwards so it blows through the fins and not on the fins) and I won't be gaming or stressing it in any way till I get a 120mm fan to attach to it. Could it be because there is no fan plugged into the fan socket? I think I read some cards don't like that and if that's the case where would I get a fan that could plug into a GPU? They seem to have completely different sockets *sigh*

7. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Nah I used a zalman with the 3pin fan header plugged into the mobo...

Tried it in the other board yet?

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Sorry been extremely busy lately, I've not had time to test it in the other board, I'll do it tonight or in the morning sometime and get back to you tomorrow.

9. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

RIGHT! I've been naffing with it for a few hours tonight and I can say I get exactly the same error on my old motherboard, it boots with my TNT2 Pro fine and with the X1950XT it says the same error message. I really don't know what else I can try. Anymore suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Could it be that my PCI-E cables were DOA? I've never tried them before now as I've never needed them connected so should I try getting a molex to PCI-E Y splitter so I can connect my known working molex cables to the PCI-E slot?

10. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Have you got one of these you can try with?
    http://www.evga.com/support/faq/files/pcie pwr adapter.jpg

edit: whoops just read above, clearly no.. tell you what, i'll send you mine :)

On another note, on the side of your PSU, how many amps does it say it can provide on the 12V rail?

edit: posted adapter thingy 1st class

Last edited: 8 Dec 2009
  11. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the adapter but I just bought one from scan with some other stuff >.< Would you like me to send it back?

My PSU has 33A on the 12v rail providing 396W of power, and there's no way that my current setup is pulling anywhere near that, it's a good quality well known brand known for it's high quality PSU's/RAM so unless I've got something wrong with my PCI-E modular connections I can't for the life of me figure out why it's not playing the game :sigh: I will try out the splitter I got sometime today, will let you know as soon as I do, but for now, I need some sleep ^_^

P.S: I forgot to say I've also updated the BIOS from 1005 to 1401, fixed nothing.

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the late reply, tried my molex to PCI-E to find exactly the same problem. The funny thing is I put the card in and forgot to put the cable in and what happened? Nothing, no post beeping and no "please connect power cable" but when I put the power cable in my computer beeps during POST and comes up with "please connect power cable" WTF?!

Anymore ideas? Anything else I can try?

13. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Has the power connector somehow come loose from the card?

14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

If you are referring to the female connector soldered to the card it doesn't move and I can't see anything snapped, the pins seem to go right through the PCB so the only way I could see it coming loose would be the pins snapping or the PCB snapping ^_^ both of which are intact:thumb:

If you are referring to the PCI-E cable then if it was loose I doubt I would've had so much bother getting it off :p It's a pain removing the PCI-E plug because my thumbs are too big so I hurt my thumb every time I have to take the plug out because of the metal fins on my cooler >.<

Last edited: 16 Dec 2009
  15. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

16. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Do you really think that would be wise? I don't how that could help. Are you saying that the BIOS may have been corrupted? Also I can't flash it if I can't POST and I can't POST with the card in my machine, I did try on the first night of installation to boot with my TNT2 in at the same time and get video output through that but it wasn't having it, just spat out the same single beep pattern that I get when the X1950 is in on it's own, also I checked the mobo manual and IIRC it doesn't list anything about single beep in the diagnostics :sigh:

I don't think it could be shipping damage, you should've seen the thing, it took my grandma 10 minutes of unwrapping cause it was covered in about 10-20 layers of bubble wrap ROFL!

17. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Just an update:

I just ordered a new PSU, getting a Seasonic X-750 in anticipation of my i5 build so I will test the GPU out again with this new badboy and if it doesn't work with this PSU then it's completely unrelated to the PSU.

Anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

18. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Another update:

I can now officially say as far as I care my GPU can crawl away and get ran over by a truck because I can no longer be arsed with it, using my Seasonic X-750 and it STILL refuses to work giving the same error message. I'll put up with my X1300 Pro. Thanks anyway.