1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mozilla man recommends Bing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Dec 2009.

1. flaming_goat

flaming_goat What's a Dremel?

Never tried Bing before - but im giving it a go as this man has a beard!

2. flaming_goat

flaming_goat What's a Dremel?

large beard = +5 persuasion

3. gnutonian

gnutonian What's a Dremel?

4. mrjonjonz

mrjonjonz What's a Dremel?

I am switching to Bing because of this, but how about DNS service, my local ISP's dns service is often clogged and slow, so I switched to using OpenDNS however, which is faster and more reliable, but I just read their privacy policy and they too are storing ip specific histories indefinitely which really troubles me. Searches can easily be taken out of context and used to portray wrongdoing. Are there any good free dns services that do not keep extensive IP specific search logs?

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

oh no not the privacy thing again.

6. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I'll hold my hands up guys and reiterate my complete dislike for ANY google product. Google has always been about adware, making money off YOUR clicks and not about the true benefit of the users. However, they have produced some very good products and they are clearly the search engine leader at the moment. That has been based on word of mouth and lack of a decent alternative, until now. I am a Microsoft fanboy but even the most anti-Microsoft fanboy must appreciate that they have got it right when they purchased Bing and replaced Live Search.

When you have one of the most respected director's of Mozilla stated a pretty big flaw and recommending a Microsoft product (I mean WTF?) then it's time to think hard about those Google loyalties.

A good question will be how will this act with Chrome and it's take up?

7. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Loving the subtle Enemy of the State reference :rock:

On a more serious note, I quite agree that Google's omnipresence is worrying. Especially given the continued proliferation of tech in our lives.

As human beings we all need a certain level of privacy to have healthy minds. It varies from person to person, but if everyone was aware of your every thought, feeling and action it would make communication as we know almost impossible. That could leads to all sorts of mental health problems. Extreme I know, but there's a reason for the ego and id, conscious and sub-concious etc. Part of us must remain hidden from others (even ourselves sometimes) for us to retain our sense of who we are amongst the noise of the 6 billion others here.

Moreover, even if that wasn't a problem, Google have no good reason to have access to all this data other than to profit from us as individuals. If someone else (malicious governments for example) got hold of it, it could be used for many and varied nefarious purposes and there's just no need to be exposed to that kind of risk for no benefit in my view.

8. crazyceo

I also see this as a major stumbling block to Andriod mobile phone software. Would you want a third party knowing who you are calling, texting, messaging, searching on your mobile because they will have their claws into those details as well. Google have stated it's just for ease of use to predict patterns to increase performances but come on, if the software was as good as they claimed they should'nt need the data in the first place.

9. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

There's (arguably) nothing wrong with noticing what's being searched for in order to optimise future searches. However, there IS something wrong with retaining that data indefinitely and keeping IP specific records that could be used to identify individuals.

10. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

Is Mozilla feeling short of cash and trying to get Google to pay more for their search deal then?

11. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

One thing confuses me about this...

If you've decided you don't trust Google, fair enough i suppose.
    But how do you make the jump from not trusting Google to trusting MS more than Google? :confused:

If i wanted to switch away from Google, bing would be the last search engine i'd use

12. quack

quack Minimodder

If you are such a fanboy as you say you are then you should know that Microsoft didn't purchase the Bing search engine.

13. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

He's right. Let's not trade a broken nail for a broken arm. Bing is not the solution. As others have suggested, use a proxy.

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

so use google for your everyday normal searches.. then when you grow a beard like that- switch to bing and do whatever you do :D

15. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

16. crazyceo

They purchased the search engine company and called it Bing and removed Live Search. So when I stated they purchased Bing technically it was correct and too the point and didn't need this explanation. And you point was?

"One thing confuses me about this...

If you've decided you don't trust Google, fair enough i suppose.
    But how do you make the jump from not trusting Google to trusting MS more than Google? :?

If i wanted to switch away from Google, bing would be the last search engine i'd use"

That statement is hilarous! This pretty cool guy at Mozilla seems to think so and you see it here on this site and other respected sites more and more now. Bing wont replace Google adware search but users are reporting better service than Google and Google are rushing out updates and newer versions to keep hold of their huge market share.

17. gnutonian

gnutonian What's a Dremel?

I'm a pretty cool guy, too. I think you should smash your head against the wall. Because I'm a pretty cool guy you're going to do so, right?

Seriously, one guy on the internet tells you something is a good idea and you accept it? I hope for you and your family you never accidently stumble across a suicide tips website.

Exchanging one corporation for another is just switching from one evil to another. Scroogle's been mentioned, and I put two other links to search engines who have no interest in you or retaining your data.

They may not be Google or Bing (*) but they work pretty good, too.

(*) Yes, I did use Google's image search for that. Because nobody should be ashamed for wanking over good ol' Chandler.

18. idontwannaknow

idontwannaknow What's a Dremel?

Sorry, I know this is getting OT, but... you're wrong. Bing is an upgrade and re-branding of the Live Search engine. There were probably some company acquisitions at about the same time, and some of them probably contributed to the final product. But the core technology is Microsoft.

Back on-topic: I wonder if data retention and identification is what concerns Dotzler. If Google indefinitely retains information that can be linked straight back to you personally, while Microsoft tends to aggregate data and doesn't keep it for long, that would be a huge difference, and very germane to Schmidt's comments about the Patriot Act (you can't give the government data you don't have!). Note: both companies would be able to achieve many of their ends (relevance, ad targeting) without actually keeping the data or its source. I'm just speculating, of course, but I find it difficult to imagine that someone like Dotzler (beard or no) would make such comments lightly.

19. crazyceo

Actually, it was a specific company purchase that changed the face of Microsofts search engine. Live search suffered for being an inferior copy of googles search calculations. I can't actually remember the company name Microsoft purchased but I do know it had the working formula ready to publish and Microsoft bought the company and Bing was born. That's why you hear on this site and many others the positive views on Bing and it was down to this specific purchase.

Funny how when a "Pretty cool guy!" that everyone trusted a week ago shakes the tree, you all start whinin'.

20. greg54

greg54 What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags