1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Similar case to the HP z600

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 3Dbuild, 12 Dec 2009.

1. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Hi,

Please can anyone help me?

This is my first post and first venture into building a PC for use with 3D modelling.

I am having trouble finding a decent looking case that doesn’t look to plastic or is too big. I really like the HP Z600 workstation case, but I suspect there will be no chance of getting one of those for a pc build project:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF25a/12454-12454-296719-4050864-4050864-3718663.html

Please can you recommend me a nice looking case that is similar to the Z600? So far I have been unable to find anything.

Thank you

2. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

Do you want it to be a desktop or a tower? Do you want high airflow or quietness? Does it need to fit particular hardware? How much are you willing to spend?

3. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Hi,

Sorry, i should have been a bit more specific:

Tower case (vertical)
    quiet airflow

Case to be big enough for;

3D rendering / modelling - so i need a fast CPU (i7) and good cooler

Decent Nvidia gamer card - but not so important for 3D rendering; only benefits viewport movement. But it would be nice to play a game on the odd occasion.

Good PSU to run fast CPU and gamer card - with consideration for future upgrades, i.e i dont want the to change the PSU later on for just graphics card upgrades.

Not too worried about price at the minute as i just want to see what is available.

I know from the sticky i should be choosing my hardware before the case, but i want a decent case before i start building - preferably very similar to the HPZ600. If i could get one second hand it would be ideal for me, I just like that case!!

Thank you

4. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

Hmm, what is it you like about the case? the lines on the front? the size etc?

Have a look at the Antec 300, P182, Coolermaster Elite 331, Akasa Eclipse.

5. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

I like everything about the Z600 case - particullary the vent lines. I would really like to get hold of one if i can, but i think that may be impossible.

Thank you for the recommendations:

The antec 300 looks ok actually, not so sure about the P182 though with the top fan sticking out. Not that keen on the coolermaster or akasa cases - sorry i am probably being too fusssy!

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

What kind of budget do you have for the case?

If you want a decent looking case, I'd suggest looking at some of the Lian-Lis. The A10 and B10 are quite nice IMO, while the A20 looks very similar (but nicer) than that HP case, although good luck finding one.

7. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

I was originally going to buy a pre-built brand PC between £1000-1500. But i couldnt find anything suitable, so that will now be my budget for building.

Thanks for the link to the Lian-Li web site - the A20 is a nice case actually

8. n0va

n0va Burnin'!

Sry, just had to do this ^___^

9. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Opps!

nOva - seeing your post has made me realise what you mean, sorry, my appolgies from being new!!

Back to the case. I have been looking this morning and i have found another one, its nothing like the Z600 but it seems ok. Its the Silverstone FT01 fortress; looks like it had a quite good review here, has anybody got one and what are they like? I seem to remember that somebody said they are a bit tight for space?

10. n0va

n0va Burnin'!

Dude, it's nothing to worry about, you don't have to apologize in any way. The question was also a bit weird, asking to decide to either have airflow or quietness. After all, a case with good airflow will be much more quiet than a cluttered one. :p

And I thought it was funny so I pointed it out ;)

Edit: I just looked at the Silverstone case you linked. I don't know anything about it, but it seems pretty expensive for what it has to offer.

I would always suggest you to not just be fixed on one possibily, there is always more than one. Does it 100% have to be an i7? I've rarely seen cases before where they were really necessary, and sure, people run benchmarks and see others have higher scores than they do, but in real use, they don't even push the CPU to 50% or so. Also, there are not many programs that will utilize all 4 Cores.

For 3d editing, that might be different, but I still think that an i5 or maybe a 1165 i7, meaning one on the Intel P55 Chipset, would be sufficent. I've got one, and I'm doing 3d modeling from time to time, and it's really enough in my opinion.

You said you need a decent gamer card, so I would say a GTX 260 core 216 would be just fine. If you're not in a hurry, just wait up for the GT3xx Cards. But if you are buying a midi tower or maybe an even smaller case always google or make a thread here to make sure that the GFX Card fits your case. They tend to be very long nowadays.

For a case, the Z600 is a custom case. You surely have noticed that you can't find any case as slim as the Z600, and that's because they use a custom raiser card for the Graphics card I think. This is very hard to replicate.

There are still other beautiful cases out there. As suggested before, you should really have a look at Lian Li cases - They are stylish, simple and very robust. Have a look at mATX and mITX cases, they may also offer you what you need and they are very small and potentially very silent. Silverstone and Lian Li are certainly brands where you can't go wrong.

Hope this helped you ;)

Last edited: 13 Dec 2009
  11. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

No problem and thank you.

The Lian Li and Silverstone cases are nice actually, some of them are a bit big for my desk so i am now looking nothing bigger than a mid tower.

I was thinking of an i7, mainly because a number of people who are using the 3d software i have got (Cinema 4D) are happy with the processor. I was planning on building this during January next year, so its gives me a bit of time to choose a different graphics card if there is a better one - I was also thinking about the GTX260.

The original pre-built pc i was looking at was the Z600 2.4ghz, but i wanted to fit a GTX260 instead of a Quadro. There seemed to be an issue if it would actually work (from HP), the PSU was 650w with one loose 6pin connector and 150w max from the motherboard slot. I think the GTX uses 219w with 2No 6pin connectors and comes with a molex connector for the PSU. I would prefer the Z600, but this is what ultimately put me off buying it as i didnt think it was going to work. Thus i think the more sensible option for me is to build a pc.

12. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

I have a good look on the internet for a case and have found the following two. For my set-up I need a mid sized case as I have limited desk space. My build will also consist of an overclocked i7 920, air cooled with either an Nvidia GTX260 or 275 – all of this for my hobby of 3D rendering:

Silverstone Fortress: FT01B-W (black + window)

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=FT01&area=usa

This case is really nice as the finish matches my monitor, but from this web site and forums it seems to have some flaws: issues with the fans and the GPU not being cooled very well?

Lian Li: PC-7FNW (black + window)

http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/pro..._index=393&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62

I haven’t been able to find out a great deal about this case other than its well made?

Please can you tell me;

Which you think is the best for my set up?

If you have these cases and what are they like visually?

Any problems and how they perform (cooling, space, noisy with fans, etc)?

Thank you again

13. SeewRipsmem

SeewRipsmem What's a Dremel?

Hey all. I need some help finding mic stands similar to the ones used by radio stations. A friend suggested that I use lamps from walfart and modify them. Does anyone know where I can get those mic stands from that would cost less than 75 bucks? I can reenforce them if I need to.

14. racecraft76

racecraft76 Still loves F.E.A.R.

Just a thought................ if you are looking at the silverstone fortress case and wish something as well made but cheaper, what about the Akasa eclipse or mirage?

Last edited: 18 Dec 2009
  15. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I doubt it, That case is a one-off. One of my biggest regrets this year was the chance to buy a z800 case/1100W PSU with a dented side panel for $800 off of ebay.

16. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Why would you ever pay $800 for that case? Even with the PSU, that's massively overpriced..

If you want a similar understated look, just take a gander at Lian Li and Silverstone cases.. They're all well built, and for the most part perform well.

17. SeewRipsmem

SeewRipsmem What's a Dremel?

Razer : It seems that the 8800GTX is the daddy long legs of the range and I read on some forum that it needs 280mm of space to fit.
    8800GTSs are a tad shorter.

Whos to blame ? Case manufacturers or NVidia ? It sucks, regardless.