1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop keeps lagging after fresh XP Professional reboot

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Faz1987, 16 Dec 2009.

1. Faz1987

Faz1987 What's a Dremel?

Hi there, i have a Acer Aspire 1640z 1.7ghz 1gb RAM laptop. I decided to give it a fresh start and reinstall XP professional onto it. However after install, when it reaches the start up page, it just seriously lags, i cannot move the mouse pointer much and it doesnt let me do anything. Funny thing is i know it has not frozen so to speak as the time still ticks on the taskbar. Now and again maybe 1 times in 20, when i do start up, its as quick as lightening and nothing wrong. I have done chkdsk and i have installed all the drivers for my laptop from the official site but to still no avail, the only thing i have not touched is the BIOS as i fear il mess it up. Does anybody have any solutions to this wonderful problem, because at the moment my laptop is as good as dead! :(

2. smajer

smajer what?!

Well, backup your files and update the BIOS, this will fix alot of problems like this, fear should not be a reason to not keep all your drivers updated. The updates are usually a good thing.

3. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

Do you have anything else installed after you reinstalled XP?

4. kristianlee

kristianlee What's a Dremel?

I think it's much more likely to be system drivers rather than the BIOS, especially as before the reinstall of XP the issue wasn't there, and presumably nothing was changed in the BIOS?

Have you noticed whether the lag is associated with the XP start sound? I've noticed it in the past where the sound drivers have been really sluggish to come up - XP delays the startup of the machine until it's loaded the drivers and played the sound.

They'd probably be my first port of call. Reinstall the drivers and see what you get.

If you can, get onto Windows Update, do the 'custom' option, and check what Hardware updates there are - could be there's some more up-to-date drivers available.