1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve publishes hardware survey results

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jan 2010.

1. Hg

Hg The game known as life

tbh i would say the reason for values results are those whinny little CSS kiddys who are still using the HP machine mummy and daddy brought them several years ago for Christmas, I know this is true as you see a lot of said machines in the CSS section of the i-series here in the UK…

I liked XP but it is now a bit long in the tooth, many a PC gamer now is either using Vista *cough* or is moving onto Win7, Nearly every New machine today offers one of these OS's and just shows how oftern those machines running CSS 24/7 get upgraded...

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Full results are here:

I assume the 8 CPU figure must include Hyperthreaded i7's.

I'm actually surprised there's not more SLI/Crossfire setups, as that's usually a favourite of pre-built systems to include a couple of low-powered cards and market it as a high end machine. Though, judging from the figures, most of those systems probably pre-date either technology :lol:

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Because it does everything I need it to do, and I have no real need to upgrade at the moment.

I have DSL but I bought my copies of L4D1 and L4D2 at a local store. Despite having a physical copy of each, I still need to log into Steam to activate and play the games.

Of course, not all games are humongous. My wife downloaded a couple of older games that clock in well below that size.

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

What type of Multimonitor setup produces 2960 x 1050 ?
    Considering that one of the displays will be 1680x1050.....

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Dual booting also, XP for most of the stuff, and Win7 for Games and benchmarking....

6. dextro

dextro What's a Dremel?

Maybe Intel Skulltrail?

1280 x 764

7. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

90% of these users are using their system to play CS or CSS. Amazing how many threads you see in the steam forums asking how to improve performance on a single core laptop with integrated graphics....

8. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I wonder what percentage of DX10 capable users will convince Valve to implement DX10 into their games. Remember when they were pushing the latest DX9 features?

9. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

No need to single out HP computers. My Pavilion Elite was (and still is) a really good machine. I did swap out the stock power supply, but I was planning on doing that when I purchased it. It has been a really good gaming rig, however, the case just does not accomodate newer video cards in part due to the wiring and motherboard plug setup. It can handle a long card, but not one that takes up two slots (at least the HP model that I have can't).

Larger graphics cards are the primary reason I decided to build a new custom PC instead of buying it off the shelf.

BTW. My mummy and daddy have not bought me any of my computers for the last 15 years or so.

10. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Does it say anywhere how many users Steam surveyed, and how many Steam users there are registered in total?

11. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

When you think of how few DX10 games are out there, I see no reason why most people would need to upgrade to Vista or 7, or even upgrade their hardware for that matter. The posters on this site aren't really an accurate reflection of the average PC user. I suspect the average user doesn't even know what SLI or DirectX actually is.

12. Matticus

Matticus ...

I am surprised the most popular res wasn't something like 640x480. All those css "pros"...

13. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

there are a lot of systems that still use CS so some of these results can be bit messed up with all the CS lower end systems (should go to mutiplay events more then half of them are just there for CS only last time i when they had an Floor just for CS only)

most are quite happy with XP, due to poor feedback on vista (or its own fault + driver makers) has not taken off and users are Not likely going to Buy Vista upgrade or Win7 upgrade on there currant pc, they get it with there new pc comes

windows 7 does work well even on low end hardware as i have found out, but if the currant OS works no need to upgrade untill the PC brakes completely as most home users do

(companies will not even bother until the currant XP windows support has expired and even then they may hang on for 1-2 years after that) Vista will be skipped in most companies due to its bloated issues and network issues (we still got 5 more years on XP extended support left ? 2015 july exp )

14. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I think it would be better to stick with the 32bit version of 7 as that is still by far more popular than the 64bit, especially if you stick with 4GB RAM.

15. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Not sure why. 32bit might be more popular overall, but not on that type of system. Not to mention that even with a fairly standard 4GB you won't be able to use all of that on a 32bit operating system.

16. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Or AMD FX-7x (wait were those dual core?), dual/quad Opty or Xeon.

Surprised that absolutely nobody with the hex-core CPUs is on Steam..

17. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

What setup gives you 3 CPUs? it's surprisingly popular...

18. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Phenom x3?

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

No it's not, the 64-bit version of Windows 7 is actually twice as popular as 32-bit (according to this survey at least):

Windows 7 32-bit - 7.45%
    Windows 7 64-bit - 15.61%

It seems people are finally realising it's about time they switched to a 64-bit operating system, and the vast majority of pre-built PCs (even the very low end ones) now ship with 64-bit Windows 7.

20. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

The thing that distorts this type of survey is everytime some kid gets vac banned, or even just banned off their favourite server, they just get a new account and may have taken the steam survey on the same system multiple times, with various accounts.

I've had one account which will be 6 years old on 1st Feb this year, i wonder how many accounts some others have got through in this period?

Tags: Add Tags