1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Looking for a quiet GTS 250 -- inno3d ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mushky, 8 Jan 2010.

1. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Hi!
    I need an nVidia card and the GTS 250 looks plenty powerful enough for my needs. I don't want to go much slower really, but what is important to me is noise - moreso at low stress to idle speeds.

After some research I think the Inno3D fits the bill, but there are then different version of it!
    512MB RAM is fine. There is a 'green' version apparently http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCode=1512-2252
    which common sense would suggest would be quieter and use less power, but who knows

Can anyone make any recommendations? Key requirement is noise, then power, then speed (as long as it's a GTS 250, but other cards considered as long as not much slower)

Many thanks.

2. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

I have a 250 with a standard 2 slot cooler, it bit noisy at boot until the driver kicks in and trottles the fan back, cant really hear it over the stock intel cooler on my cpu, the only thing ive found that makes it rev up like a beast is the furmark benchmark.

I think the standard cooler is quite quiet but i dont know what you consider noisy is the pc going to be in a living room or in your bedroom on all night?

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

That sounds promising. Thanks for the comment.
    It's going into my gaming/HTPC in a separate room. It's only really on when being used.

4. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

lol just a prodding question (not trying to start an ATI/NV fight), why not go with a 57xx series card that is super low power and practically shuts off at idle?

5. mushky

mushky gimme snails

BBC HD on freesat goes blocky with my 3850 which is apparently an ATI problem with the new BBC codecs. I'd happily keep it otherwise. I don't know if it's all ATI cards but as it seems to be a driver issue, I don't want to risk it.

6. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

Don't get the gts 250 cause it's just an over priced rebrand of the 9800 gt.

mushky likes this.
  7. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I thought it used a smaller die = less power = cooler = generally quieter ??

8. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

nope, its a 9800 gtx plain and simple - still just as power hungry as all its other 55nm nvidia brethren. Its not particularly high power though, but certainly not up to the standards of ati 40nm

mushky likes this.
  9. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I've not heard of the BBC issues before, but there's no way they'd leave something like that without fixing it, is there?! Get a 5750 or 5770 and wait for fresh drivers or whatever.

10. mushky

mushky gimme snails

11. mushky

mushky gimme snails

oh ok, cheers :)

12. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

So did I. 4 months ago :D Now I need to take action myself

14. mushky

mushky gimme snails

hmmm the 9800gtx is quite a bit more expensive round here, but the 9800gt is a little cheaper
    which one is = gts 250 ?

edit: ok I found it, it's the 9800GTX, which is more expensive than a GTS 250 anyway

15. El Rando

El Rando I know what a dremel is

Dunno if you've got it yet but I've just bought a normal 512mb GTS 250 and the fan is noisy as F***. Might just be mine but when it gets going it gets annoying.

16. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Clearly the BBC need to get a clue. ATI's hardware is more efficient, quieter and has native audio over HDMI support. They also have the only DX11 hardware for another 2mths. Surely, they have to sort it out!!!! :wallbash:

17. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Really? No, haven't bought anything yet. hmm this kind of throws a spanner in the works :sigh:

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

AFAIK, the GTS250 twin frozr editions that MSI released are a bit "greener", i.e. use less juice.

19. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Just bought a 9800GT gainward 'green edition'

Thanks for the help. Lets hope it's nice and quiet!

20. mushky

mushky gimme snails

For the record, it is noisy at full whack, but quiet on idle and when doing CUDA stuff in MPC HC